Errol Flynn does the "Mirror Routine"

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Robert Arkus
Capo

Re: Errol Flynn does the "Mirror Routine"

Postby Robert Arkus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 am

Ed Watz wrote:
David Kalat wrote:
Ed Watz wrote: Has anybody identified the Harold Lloyd one reeler (excerpted anonymously IIRC in Brownlow's THE THIRD GENIUS) where Harold and Gaylord do their version?

Ed, I believe the Harold Lloyd one-reeler you mean is The Marathon (1918) which TCM screened earlier in May--here's my write up on it from the TCM blog, along with the clip in question so you can see for yourself if it's the same rendition:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2013/05/25/har ... -marathon/

Only, I don't think that's Gaylord. But my ability to recognize actors is so appallingly bad I wouldn't credit my opinion on that at all.

Thanks David, that's the clip alright, and since it's better represented here I can see it's not Harold's brother Gaylord. Looks a tad like a heavily made up Lew Harvey but I can't tell, either. Gaylord and Harold do a quick version of the mirror routine in HIS ROYAL SLYNESS and I was probably thinking of that film at the time. (And your article was excellent, thank you for sharing!)

It's Nick Stuart. I've seen him in some early talkies and also, confirmed it with Steve Massa ... So it must be him!

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 am

Robert Arkus wrote:
It's Nick Stuart. I've seen him in some early talkies and also, confirmed it with Steve Massa ... So it must be him!

Thanks Robert (and also Steve)! Incidentally, the photos you provided for Steve's superlative LAME BRAINS & LUNATICS are outstanding! Wish I could be there at Slapsticon with all you great people...hopefully I can swing it next year.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Robert Arkus
Capo

Postby Robert Arkus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Ed Watz wrote:
Robert Arkus wrote:

Thanks Robert (and also Steve)! Incidentally, the photos you provided for Steve's superlative LAME BRAINS & LUNATICS are outstanding! Wish I could be there at Slapsticon with all you great people...hopefully I can swing it next year.

Thanks Ed. I was just happy to help Steve out and actually feel privileged to have contributed to his wonderful book. We missed you at Slapsticon along with some of the other regulars. The new venue is gorgeous!! IU Cinema and the surrounding campus were idyllic. Along with the rare, one-of-a-kind 16mm collector prints, there was a generous helping of 35 mm materials from LOC, UCLA, Columbia/SONY Pictires,The BFI, and the state of the art projection booth was also equipt with video projection. Richard, as always, did a bang-up job with the programming and the ultra-rarities from both Rob Stone and David Wyatt were a film-comedy-fan's dream come true! Slapsticon really delivers the goods!! I'm hoping they get the green light to do it again next year, and if so, I'll be there!! You can read more about it in the thread that David Kalat started on Silent Comedy Main.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:22 pm

David Denton wrote:I just watched the mirror routine in KRI-KRI DOMESTICO (1913)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSEalGPSqzc

Great find David. I think this is the earliest instance of the gag we have, right? But who the hell is Kri-Kri? Which, by the way, is Greek for a goat native to Crete.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

David Denton
Capo

Postby David Denton » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm sure there's a very good reason why you know that.....

Robert Arkus
Capo

Postby Robert Arkus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Ed Watz wrote:
Robert Arkus wrote:

Is my face red!! I apologize ... It's Eddie Borden and not Nick Stuart doing the Mirror Routine with Harold Lloyd. Borden is who I had confirmed with Steve after they ran it on TCM. Not sure where my brain is at, but that's the last time I do two film conferences in one month!! ... Sorry.