Sally Starr (1923 - 2013)

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Sally Starr (1923 - 2013)

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 pm

I had the good fortune to speak with Sally on several occasions in the early '90s during the production of my 3 Stooges biography. She was very kind, related some great stories about working with the Three Stooges, and as mentioned in the second article below she expressed great disappointment about having lost everything that she owned (including all of her personal career memorabilia) during a fire in 1987. Nonetheless, she seemed to remain a cheerful, upbeat person with great charisma. Sad to lose another of the iconic kiddie show hosts.

-- Paul E. Gierucki

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Sally-Starr-fa ... index.html

Sally Starr, famed TV host, dies at 90

Monday, January 28, 2013

READING, Pa. -
To many baby boomers, Sally Starr was like a member of their family. The iconic cowgirl, who had her own TV show in Philadelphia, passed away on Sunday. She was 90.

Known to her audiences as "Our Gal Sal," Starr began her broadcasting career in Philadelphia. From the 1950s until 1971, Starr hosted an afternoon children's program that aired on weekdays. Starr became known for her cowgirl attire and fringe, a nod to her roots in Kansas City, Mo.

"She was part of the family. Oh, I loved her. I used to watch her every day," said Joe Raiti, of Reading.

"I liked her. I really did, and one nice thing, she kept my children busy," said Doris Schoener, of Reading.

Starr died on Sunday, just two days after her 90th birthday. Her program consisted of a variety of shorts and cartoons, which became known as Popeye Theater. Starr also welcomed guests like The Three Stooges and Dick Clark. Fans said she was the consummate family entertainer.

"You didn't have to worry about your children seeing them. Today, you have to think about that," said Betty Babb, of Reading.

Starr's popularity also shined beyond her Philadelphia television and radio broadcasts. In 1998, Starr held a fundraiser event at the Riveredge in Bern Township. In 2000, she attended a Berks County Commissioners meeting to thank the county for supporting her career. She also participated in the King Frost Parade, signed autographs in downtown Reading, and made a special appearance at the Kempton Fair.

"I think what we're going to remember are some of her songs that she sang and the way she carried herself," said Schoener.

Starr's popular sign off, "love, luck and lollipops," will live on forever for her fans

-----------------------------------------

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8970011

Sally Starr, famed TV host, dies at 90

BERLIN, N.J. - January 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Sally Starr, a former 6abc variety show host and Philadelphia broadcast legend, has died. She turned 90-years-old just two days ago.

Starr died Sunday at a nursing home in New Jersey.

For nearly 20 years, beginning in the 50s, when TV was in its infancy, Sally had daytime shows here on Channel 6.

Born Alleen Mae Beller in 1923, she had her name legally changed to Sally Starr in 1941.

Affectionately known to fans as "Our Gal Sal," she began her decades-long career as a disc jockey in 1948. She became host of "Popeye Theater" two years later on the former WFIL-TV, now WPVI.

On the two-hour weekday variety show, Starr introduced cartoons, Popeye, the Three Stooges, and celebrity guests to a generation of young people. She became recognized for her trademark spangled, fringed cowgirl costume.

The program was canceled in 1972 and Starr retired to Florida, where in 1987 a fire destroyed her home and her treasured broadcast memorabilia.

While residing in Atco, Starr earned a living from personal appearances and selling airtime on her "High Noon" radio show that aired on Sundays. She hosted the Vineland show on radio station WVLT into her 80s.

In 1998, Starr filed for bankruptcy protection, saying she was "church-mouse poor." She blamed her financial troubles on alleged comments made by a Trenton radio talk show host on the air. She sued WKXW-FM in New Jersey saying that host Jeff Diminski slandered her when he allegedly twice called her a "lesbian cowgirl."

"I've lost thousands and thousands of dollars because of the idiotic statement made," Starr told The Associated Press at the time, adding that her personal appearance bookings had dropped off from as many as six per week to about two since the alleged remark.

A state appeals court in 2001 said Starr could go forward with her defamation lawsuit. Diminski later retracted the statements.

Sally was also a member of the Philadelphia Broadcast Pioneers Hall of Fame.

A cause of death has not been released.

Funeral services for Sally will be held privately.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: Sally Starr (1923 - 2013)

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Sally hosted on WFIL-TV 6 in Philadelphia which was where I watched her almost from infancy. She was very generous with her time and made personal appearances not only at my school but many other local events, parades, etc. So sad that she had financial troubles at the end of her long life. Folks not from the Philly area can see her as one of the many TV hosts who cameoed in the Stooges' The Outlaws is Coming playing, who else?, Belle Starr.

RIP My Gal Sal.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx