Jacques Tati Blu-ray

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Uli Ruedel
Capo

Jacques Tati Blu-ray

Postby Uli Ruedel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:43 am

The new Tati Blu-ray box (which hasn't been discussed here at all, I think) is now available for pre-order:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jacques-Tati-Collection-Blu-ray/90211/#Forum,
presumably duplicating the contents of its French equivalent,
http://www.amazon.fr/Int%C3%A9gral-Jacques-Tati-Blu-ray/dp/B00ESVLB1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391947132&sr=8-1&keywords=tati.

The list of content on amazon.fr indicates that it includes the first opportunity I'm aware of anywhere to see On demande une brute (a clip is included in the Footsteps documentary mentioned below), which is great news in its own right. It also marks the official home video debut of the short Gai Dimanche, and the first time Forza Bastia is widely available (it was shown on arte and included as bonus DVD in a French soccer magazine). Also included, Dégustation maison, a Sophie Tatischeff film I've honestly never heard about - the Bellos book doesn't mention it, guess we'll find out when we see it. As to the features, as they should, Jour comes in three versions (finally!), and Hulot and Mon Oncle in two. All in all, this should make the set quite definite, indeed.

Hang on to older releases though, regardless of the host of extras in the new set, plenty of material remains unique to these, even if we assume the new box includes the 'international' soundtracks' and the Mon Oncle outakes, perhaps within the film analysis, as t least one previous DVD did:

- early DVD(s) of Jour de Fete have the documentary on the restoration of the Thomsoncolor version
- The BFI BR has a 1080p version of the Thomsoncolor version (oddly listed as 720p in the new box set) with English soundtrack
- The BFI's Playtime includes a 1968 audio interview of Tati by Kevin Brownlow, while the (latest) Criterion has a 1972 audio interview and a 1976 Omnibus TV documentary
- Criterion's Trafic includes a vintage cast interview, a 1973 television program, and the seminal feature-length documentary, In the Footsteps of M. Hulot (1989)
- BFI's Parade - DVD only - includes yet another 'previously unseen' interview, this time from 1977. (I'm curious how a film largely shot on SD video is to gain from HD, by the way - maybe for its 16mm sections?)

As far as I can tell, the documentary Jacques Tati - Le rire démocratique (2002) remains unavailable, while The Magnificent Tati has been released on DVD in Australia, while "Il était une fois..." Mon oncle (2008) is available from ina.fr (as are plenty other Tati bits and pieces). Completists might also want the wonderful Magician of course, and the two Autant-Lara features with Tati in supporting parts, still available on DVD in France.

Uli

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Re: Jacques Tati Blu-ray

Postby Uli Ruedel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:50 pm

... and, not unexpectedly, Criterion tops it with their own set, adding some of the earlier extra features I listed:
http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1069-the-complete-jacques-tati

Uli