Howard, Fine & Howard

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Uli Ruedel
Capo

Howard, Fine & Howard

Postby Uli Ruedel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:02 am

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Howard, Fine & Howard

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

Uli Ruedel wrote:More Stooges coming (info courtesy of Chris Seguin):
http://shop.tcm.com/classic-shorts-from-the-dream-factory-volume-3-dvd/detail.php?p=703586

Uli

Great news, but the question for me is, is HELLO POP worth $21.99 (I have all the other shorts)

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 am

Speaking of which, did anyone notice what also came out from WAC the same day as HELLO POP:

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=703591 ... 6926C476D3

Not a lost film as such, but it only survives in a 16mm AAP television print that has a picture issue or two. Has this ever played on TCM?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Great news, but the question for me is, is HELLO POP worth $21.99 (I have all the other shorts)

RICHARD M ROBERTS

It was just "meh" for me. Interesting to see historically but you have to know the Healy/Stooge section is only about 1 reel in length, the other reel is a dance number from "March Of Time" which I found to be more interesting than the first reel. Your mileage may vary.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:57 am

I wonder if Warner Archive was enjoined from even mentioning The Three Stooges in their box art and advertising. I mean, they were inarguably stooges and there were three of them, though at this time I suppose their official billing was Ted Healy and His Stooges.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Rob Farr wrote:
I wonder if Warner Archive was enjoined from even mentioning The Three Stooges in their box art and advertising.

Doesn't Sony own the name "The Three Stooges"? I suppose Turner could be sly and call them "The Pre-Stooges".

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Comedy III Productions owns the name, likeness, copyright, trademark, etc, etc of The Three Stooges. Sony owns the Columbia shorts and features.

Pasquale

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:14 pm

So we watched HELLO POP at our weekly Movie Night last night, boy, the Universe sure is a brighter place for having that one turn up.

You know, the Stooges were the comics who managed in the opposite fashion to get their MGM debacle out of their lives first, it was all uphill comedically after that...........even the Joe Bessers are funnier than HELLO POP.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (but at least we can "check it off the list")

(What list?)

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:24 am

It sounds like your Stooges bucket list.

And I seem to enjoy all of the Stooges MGM appearances over most of their Columbia shorts from the Forties onward --for the simple reason that they perform at a rather high energy level throughout the Thirties. Even when the material isn't up to par their performances make up for it with a manic intensity that is hard to beat.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:35 am

Gary Johnson wrote:It sounds like your Stooges bucket list.

And I seem to enjoy all of the Stooges MGM appearances over most of their Columbia shorts from the Forties onward --for the simple reason that they perform at a rather high energy level throughout the Thirties. Even when the material isn't up to par their performances make up for it with a manic intensity that is hard to beat.

Oh you and your Columbia allergy.

At MGM, they're all energy with no focus, and they're not allowed to upstage Healy or get the punchlines so they're both unfocused and caged in, it's just a waste of too many good comedians in one space all around.

And, typical MGM had no damned idea what to do with them, much less give them any decent material. I think their funniest in MEET THE BARON but the rest of the film around them is dire, but they do have a few throwaway gags that sorta work.

I like them in the late 40's, as iconic as Curly Howard is today, his was a limited bag of tricks and he was never the comedian Shemp Howard was, and I'll happily trade some of the energy and zaniness for a more thoughtful silliness in those Ed Bernds-Directed later Columbias.

RICHARD M ROBERTS