Review of A Thousand Cuts, New Book About Film Collectors

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Review of A Thousand Cuts, New Book About Film Collectors

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:06 am

I'm guessing that more than a few of us will be picking up A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph. I haven't read it yet, but here is a looong review by David Bordwell, along with observations from Bordwell about his own collecting days. http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/

If Bordwell s review is accurate, the book spends much of its time discussing the legal pitfalls of collecting back in the bad old days. This is understandable since co-author Joseph actually spent time behind bars. But the title of the book, which I presume was foisted upon the authors by their publisher, trots out the hoary cliche about collectors being half-maniacal and half-criminal. But those qualms aside I will certainly be buying the book and will post a review on these pages.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Review of A Thousand Cuts, New Book About Film Collectors

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:20 am

Rob Farr wrote:I'm guessing that more than a few of us will be picking up A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph. .

You may be guessing wrong.

RICHARD M ROBERTS