Paul Parrott on youtube

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Steve Massa
Capo

Paul Parrott on youtube

Postby Steve Massa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 am

Hi guys
I was surfing around on youtube the other day and came across a Paul Parrott short I'd never seen. Turns out it's FOR SAFE KEEPING (3/18/1923). Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEidq3yWfE

It's from Klamotten Kiste, the German TV version of Comedy Capers or Funny Manns. This one was directed by George Jeske, and supporting Parrott are the usual Roach suspects like Eddie Baker, George Rowe, Sammy Brooks, Mark Jones, etc.,etc. Don't recognize the leading lady at all - it isn't Jobyna Ralston, Marie Mosquini, or Ethel Broadhurst!

Steve

Joe Moore
Associate

Re: Paul Parrott on youtube

Postby Joe Moore » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Steve Massa wrote: Don't recognize the leading lady at all - it isn't Jobyna Ralston, Marie Mosquini, or Ethel Broadhurst!

I haven't watched the short yet but do remember that Ena Gregory was one of Paul's leading ladies after Jobyna moved over to the Harold Lloyd unit which was around the time this short was made.

Joe Moore

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Joe
It isn't Ena Gregory either - this woman has dark hair and is on the small side.

Steve

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Steve Massa wrote:Hi Joe
It isn't Ena Gregory either - this woman has dark hair and is on the small side.

Steve

She looks familiar, but no names coming to me. She's definitely a fill-in for the just departed Jobyna Ralston, and Ena Gregory took over leading lady duties on the following film C-83, THE SMILE WINS (FOR SAFE KEEPING is C-82).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that Steve M - one of the world's foremost silent comedy historians (and I mean that seriously) didn't dig up this Paul Parrott comedy in an archive somewhere ... didn't find it in someone's private collection ... but spotted it on YouTube of all places. Whew! If you don't see any posts from me in a while it's because I'm in counseling.

Jim K

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Jim
I've come across a few other offbeat silent comedy goodies on youtube. There's Larry Semon's ROMANS AND RASCALS ('18), a 1917 Edison comedy with Raymond McKee titled FRIENDS, ROMANS, AND LEO, and FAITES VOUS HYPNOTISER - which is another Paul Parrott comedy MR. HYPPO ('23).

Steve