Has the Slaphappy series been licensed to Madacy???

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Has the Slaphappy series been licensed to Madacy???

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Uli Ruedel wrote:Are the arrangements of episodes and the transfer the same as on the original release? In other words, would this set allow to replace half of the originally issued DVD-Rs with "real" DVDs?

And yes, the series is a must-have!

Uli

You're asking as if I've ever watched it (I'm not that big a fan of the series as it finally came out), but I think one can safely assume that none of the parties involves spent a dime on new transfers, so if "real DVD's" over "DVD-R's" floats your boat (as if there is really such a big difference, nobody really knows how long either format will actually last), go for them.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Has the Slaphappy series been licensed to Madacy???

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:49 pm

I believe professional DVD's have a larger space capacity without a loss in quality as opposed to DVD-r's.

Now I'll sit and wait for the tech-heads to jump all over me...

Gary J.

Uli Ruedel
Capo

DVD-Rs, Warner Archive

Postby Uli Ruedel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:47 am

No jumping, but storage capacities is basically the same for professionally pressed and for burnt DVD since the latter have become available in a double layer variant as well. Regarding longetivity, Richard is right, there is not much proof or experience either way. It is not unreasonable to assume that pressed DVD's molded metal layers should be more stable than burnt DVD's organic dye recording/ metal layers, and I indeed had playback problems one or twice with Slaphappy DVD-Rs at least on one player... but there are "real" DVDs that failed after a few years also.

The use of burnt DVDs has also come under fire re. programs like Warner Archive releases, which brings us back to topic, as some of these might be of interest to the likes of us, and haven't been discussed here, have they?

THE RED MILL
THE STORY OF MANKIND
THE BETTER OLE
HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929
...more?

Uli