Chaplin comes to blu-ray

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Chris Seguin

Chaplin comes to blu-ray

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:44 am

From Kinowelt in Germany:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4052

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Re: Chaplin comes to blu-ray

Postby Uli Ruedel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:08 am

And, in the UK, KID and DICTATOR in May, apparently the mk2 versions.
Byebye, PAL speedup!

There's also talk that Criterion has secured the US rights...

Uli

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 am

Uli Ruedel wrote:And, in the UK, KID and DICTATOR in May, apparently the mk2 versions.
Byebye, PAL speedup!

There's also talk that Criterion has secured the US rights...

Uli

They have. From Criterion's latest e-newsletter: "And you can expect a lot more in 2010, when you’ll become better acquainted with a slew of mythic moviemakers (Charlie Chaplin, Nicholas Ray, Sidney Lumet) and modern-day masters in the making (Pedro Costa, Andrea Arnold, Terry Zwigoff)."

And in other Blu-Ray news, the triple-disc Wizard of Oz set with all of the surviving silent material is now on sale at Amazon for $17.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Postby Uli Ruedel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 am

Excellent news about the Criterion licensing. Unfortunately, as far as I know all Criterion BluRays so far have been Region A encoded (a consideration in my recent purchase of a cheapie region-free BR player) and lately they haven't been always quite as perfect as their reputation (see my Tati Trafic post on one of these caveats). But it'll be interesting to see what they have to offer, and whether the mk2 releases will have new or different extras. Of course, more than anything else I hope for the inclusion of Timothy Brock's brilliant score for A Woman of Paris (http://www.timothybrock.com/articles_a_woman_of_paris.htm).

Uli

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Rob Farr wrote:And in other Blu-Ray news, the triple-disc Wizard of Oz set with all of the surviving silent material is now on sale at Amazon for $17.

Oops. Just doubled in price. Buying from Amazon is like playing the ponies. Ya gotta jump on that filly while she's hot.
Rob Farr

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Deepdiscount.com has the three disc blu-ray at 13.99....it is, of course, out of stock.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:Deepdiscount.com has the three disc blu-ray at 13.99....it is, of course, out of stock.

That lasted about an hour. Price is back to $39 and change.
Rob Farr

Paul Penna
Cugine

Postby Paul Penna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Rob Farr wrote:
Chris Seguin wrote:Deepdiscount.com has the three disc blu-ray at 13.99....it is, of course, out of stock.

That lasted about an hour. Price is back to $39 and change.

All the major retailers, both brick-and-mortar and online seem to follow each other around on high-profile items like this. At Amazon the Oz 3-discer is back up to $35, up from the $16.49 I locked mine in at back on Feb. 14.