Complete films of Pierre Etaix restored

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Uli Ruedel
Capo

Complete films of Pierre Etaix restored

Postby Uli Ruedel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Jeffrey Nelson
Associate

Re: Complete films of Pierre Etaix restored

Postby Jeffrey Nelson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:00 pm

Nevuh hoida dis guy. What's the story?

Richard Warner

Postby Richard Warner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Jeffrey Nelson wrote:Nevuh hoida dis guy. What's the story?

I can't tell you anything about Etaix, but I did see one of his shorts, RUPTURE, at London's National Film Theatre back in the 1970s, showing in support of a Marx Bros film. It had that Marxian audience - me included - almost helpless with laughter. All I can remember now is that Etaix had been jilted by his girl and decided to end it all. There were some hilarious attempts to write a farewell note with a non-functioning pen and a great final gag, which I won't repeat here. On the basis of that one film, I'd say he was a cross between Tati and Keaton. I've wanted to see more of him ever since and really hope that his films will get a DVD release. I dimly recall reading that his later features weren't up to the standard of his early shorts, but if they're only half as good as RUPTURE, they should be a treat!
Richard Warner

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Postby Uli Ruedel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Richard, my understanding is that Etaix' films are indeed planned for theatrical re-release as well as DVDs, so, although possibly sans English subs, there might be an opportunity to revisit his films soon. Having missed the couple that screened in the first days of this year's Cinema Ritrovato, but curious becaue of the restoration and renewed attention, I revisited his two shorts on an old VHS, and they are truly works of a comic genius. Small wonder you can still recall the marvelous RUPTURE after decades!

Arte currently has a short video piece up on the restoration / re-release, but I suspect Etaix' rhythym doesn't translate well into such brief excerpts as included here: http://videos.arte.tv/de/videos/pierre_etaix-3306620.html

The link I posted earlier offers plenty of additional information, of course, including a pdf version of the extensive, bilingual restoration booklet...

Uli

Ben Model
Capo

Postby Ben Model » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:27 pm

I saw "Heureux Anniversaire" in film school and always remembered it, and picked up a print on eBay several years ago. I posted it on YouTube a few months back --

Ben

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Postby Uli Ruedel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:00 am

David Kalat
Capo

Postby David Kalat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:55 am

Richard Warner

Postby Richard Warner » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 am

David, many thanks for that great article. I'm hoping that someone will release a Pierre Etaix set in the UK - maybe Masters of Cinema or the BFI. I was sorely tempted to buy the French release, but held off because of the lack of English titles and the rudimentary nature of my schoolboy French. If we don't get a UK release, I'll definitely buy the Criterion set.
Richard

Uli Ruedel
Capo

Postby Uli Ruedel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 am

For those in L.A., Leonard Maltin (who likened the Etaix renaissance to first discovering Lloyd or Keaton) presents Pierre Etaix on November 16, 2011:
http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibitions/events/2011/11/etaix.html

Uli