Kino's OUR HOSPITALITY blu-ray is in my hands

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Chris Seguin

Kino's OUR HOSPITALITY blu-ray is in my hands

Postby Chris Seguin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Well, not literally, it's sitting on my desk at home. Seems Kino is happy to ship before the March 22 release date to Canada. Socialized medicine AND pre-release Keaton! What a great country.
I haven't had a chance to unwrap the cellophane, but I'm quite looking forward to this -- especially the 49-minute HOSPITALITY cut unearthed by Paul G. Stay tuned, I'll try to report on it asap.
Chris

David B Pearson
Capo

Re: Kino's OUR HOSPITALITY blu-ray is in my hands

Postby David B Pearson » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:39 pm

And?....

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:54 pm

...and I've been too swamped at work to write down any thoughts!! :)
(Also, in all honesty, I was sidetracked by the Max Davidson set...)
I will say this... HOSPITALITY is a really fascinating piece of film, and the David Pearson documentary is, like those that preceded it on earlier discs, stellar.

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:...and I've been too swamped at work to write down any thoughts!! :)
(Also, in all honesty, I was sidetracked by the Max Davidson set...)
I will say this... HOSPITALITY is a really fascinating piece of film, and the David Pearson documentary is, like those that preceded it on earlier discs, stellar.

Well, the OUR HOSPITALITY documentary belongs to Patricia Eliot Tobias, although she was kind enough to add me as her associate.

Now, finish with Davidson and stop leaving us hanging...

:-)

DBP

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 pm

True about Patty, I apparently didn't give credit where credit was due! She's done a fantastic job with these docs, they're tremendously watchable and endlessly interesting. Great stuff, and kudos to the Queen of Keatonia!

As for Max, I DO hate to keep folks hanging. Here's my two word review: GET IT. The shorts themselves are nothing short of hilarious, it's an extremely strong and consistently funny series and it's a real shame it didn't continue longer. And I have to say that any DVD that has two minutes of tragically decomposing footage of Max and Oliver Hardy together is okay with me. It's stuff like this (and the rediscovered HOSPITALITY) that reminds me of how very LUCKY we are to have what we have, rather than focusing on what's lost to time.

Best things on the Max set? PASS THE GRAVY (of course, and looking great), a beautiful 35mm nitrate of JEWISH PRUDENCE (far superior to the one on the UK L&H box set), SHOULD SECOND HUSBANDS COME FIRST (Spec O'Donnell in drag and semi-naked!) and DUMB DADDIES. Then there's Hal Roach's first talkie, the truly bizarre and utterly delightful HURDY GURDY, which is so advanced in its use of music and dialect that it borders on genius.

And, as I've said before, more later.

Chris

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:47 am

Yeah, I have the Max set in my hot little hands too. Chris, let's race to see who can be first to post a review. And...I'm off!
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Rob... you win. ;)

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Hey Chris

Any news on whether the IRON MULE extra is the full 2 reel version or the usual Shepherd cutdown??

With bated breath...

Dave

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Dave; in all honesty, I haven't screened THE IRON MULE yet. But I'll take a look tonight. I'm pretty convinced it's the complete film, but don't take my word for it. Chris

Ben Model
Capo

Postby Ben Model » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 am

It was newly transferred in HD from MoMA's 35mm restoration, made from a print they preserved from a 35mm nitrate from the Czech film archive several years ago (thank you, Eileen Bowser), and is 4-5 mins longer (because of footage not running speed). I connected Kino with MoMA when they hired me to score the film and were only aware of the shorter edition, and I was pleased that MoMA let something out of the vault for DVD. (Doesn't always happen.)