Great Podcast with Jonathan Winters

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Great Podcast with Jonathan Winters

Postby Rob Farr » Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 am

This week Jonathan Winters was the guest on Marc Maron's WTF podcast, here: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/ ... an_winters Maron is a working comic who produces his twice-weekly podcast from the road. He gets a lot of mileage from his interviews with fellow comics because they see him as a blood brother rather than a celebrity journalist. 85-year-old Winters speaks slowly but it's clear his comic sense is undiminished. Enjoy. PS. Sensitive souls who are offended by profanilty should NOT download this pocast.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Great Podcast with Jonathan Winters

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Rob Farr wrote:This week Jonathan Winters was the guest on Marc Maron's WTF podcast, here: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/ ... an_winters Maron is a working comic who produces his twice-weekly podcast from the road. He gets a lot of mileage from his interviews with fellow comics because they see him as a blood brother rather than a celebrity journalist. 85-year-old Winters speaks slowly but it's clear his comic sense is undiminished. Enjoy. PS. Sensitive souls who are offended by profanilty should NOT download this pocast.

Winters was great, but I wouldn’t give you two cents for Mark Moran. Is that what passes for a stand-up comedian these days?

And as for calling his podcast the “What the F**k Show”, I’d call it the “Why the F**k Show”. I don’t have a particular sensitivity to the word, but when I hear comics using it gratuitously, I always think” Dammit, Lenny Bruce went to jail so you could say those words, so find a good reason to use them rather than just sounding like you have Tourettes syndrome!”. Winters is a class act and a Genius who also managed to deal rather well with his demons, and listening to him being interviewed by the likes of Moran is like listening to Picasso being interviewed by Thomas Kinkade. Moran hasn’t even listened to most of Winters great comedy albums, but he’s more than happy to harp on Winters nervous breakdowns and drinking problems, which hasn’t been an issue with Winters career for over 50 years.

I know I’m beginning to sound like an Old Curmudgeon (rather than a young curmudgeon), but when Jonathan Winters, Shelley Berman, Bob Newhart, Don Rickles, and Bill Cosby go on to the Great Beyond, it will be the end of that era of great standup, and I really miss George Carlin!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Great Podcast with Jonathan Winters

Postby Gary Johnson » Sun May 15, 2011 3:47 am

Maron is among the new breed of comics who suffer the "Seinfeld" syndrome. They all learned their craft at the same time as Jerry did
but never hit it big with a network TV show and it eats at them. It has hit Maron particularly hard since he believes that he should be
basking in national glory and it has made him a bitter, jealous narcissist (Which he has freely admitted in many interviews). His big
chance was when AIR AMERICA originally came on the air and he had a show which he shared with two other liberal pundits but he
didn't like the idea of sharing air time with anyone and eventually left.

And now he makes podcasts in his apartment trying to make comedians open up about their vices. He was never my cup of tea.