Arthur Ripley's VOICE IN THE WIND on TCM

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Ed Watz
Associate

Arthur Ripley's VOICE IN THE WIND on TCM

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 pm

For anyone interested in seeing what Mack Sennett's onetime head writer was doing between film school semesters at UCLA, TCM is showing his VOICE IN THE WIND (1944) Feb 6 at 12:30pm EST. Ripley wrote, directed and co-produced the film independently and it made some news at the time for intelligent handling on a thin budget. I saw it once years ago in the company of Rohauer who didn't stop talking through it, lots of shadows and closeups of Francis Lederer as I recall...I'm not expecting much but I wouldn't miss it. Nice to see in the TV Info Guide that one of my favorite people Luis Alberni is listed right up there with Lederer!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Arthur Ripley's VOICE IN THE WIND on TCM

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:53 am

It's funny reading the disparate opinions on IMdB. One fella saw it back in 44' while stationed at an isolated naval base in the North Atlantic. He hated this film so badly that he walked out on it, as he was lonely and yearning for fluffy Hollywood entertainment. And yet, the film has stayed stuck in his head all these years and he has been searching for it ever since. Another person saw it in Ripley's UCLA film class (from the director's own 35mm copy). He found it brilliant and he also has been wanting to see it again ever since,

I hope they both have TCM.

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: Arthur Ripley's VOICE IN THE WIND on TCM

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:It's funny reading the disparate opinions on IMdB. One fella saw it back in 44' while stationed at an isolated naval base in the North Atlantic. He hated this film so badly that he walked out on it, as he was lonely and yearning for fluffy Hollywood entertainment. And yet, the film has stayed stuck in his head all these years and he has been searching for it ever since. Another person saw it in Ripley's UCLA film class (from the director's own 35mm copy). He found it brilliant and he also has been wanting to see it again ever since,

I hope they both have TCM.

It's been so many years since I've seen it and as I mentioned, the guy (Rohauer) sitting next to me kept blabbing all through it...but I'm almost anticipating that VOICE IN THE WIND will come across "artsy-fartsy cheap" similar to Chaplin's late films. Whether it's a good picture or a noble failure (or an ignoble failure) is another question. It's on in half an hour...we shall see soon enough...save us, Luis!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)