Contacting actors - need help

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Louie Despres
Associate

Contacting actors - need help

Postby Louie Despres » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 am

As many know here I have been doing research on El Brendel for a few years now and am trying to get in touch with some of the people he worked with in the movies and television to get some more information. Are there ANY good resources on how to do this? Books/websites??

P.S.,I know I can get in touch with Gloria Jean.

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Re: Contacting actors - need help

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58 am

Lou, you should try the Screen Actors Guild or the other similar organizations.

Otherwise hit the phonebooks and start dialing! Took me a while to find Madeline Hurlock when she was right there in the NYC phonebook all the time for 50 years.

Good luck!

SteveR

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Contacting actors - need help

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 am

I found a L.A. phonebook in the Denver Public Library back in 1975 and found Hal Roach's number in it. I called him and to my great delight he talked to me for about 20 minutes. I asked the stupidest questions (when was Charley Chase born?) but he was so patient and I really felt special for a long time. I was Laurel & Hardy centric at the time and in hindsight I wished I could have asked him more about the other Si-Com luminaries he worked with. I remember thinking at the time "I'm glad I called this guy before he dies soon." Well he almost outlived me on a couple of occasions and when he died nearly 20 years later I was actually taken aback by the news.

I found a Daphne Pollard number but the elderly lady, after a pause, claimed not to be her, but I think it was her.