CAMERA Comedy Clippings, June 30, 1923

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: CAMERA Comedy Clippings, June 30, 1923

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Well I don't know much about this film TEA WITH A KICK but judging by the comedy cast members highlighted in these two pages of ads it would definitely be of interest to any fan of silent film comedy.

Joe Moore

Hey, TEA:WITH A KICK has definite promise. An early Victor Halperin production, Erle C. Kenton directing, and look at this cast: Doris May, Creighton Hale, Ralph Lewis,Rosemary Theby, Stuart Holmes, Zasu Pitts, Gale Henry, Dot Farley, Louise Fazenda, Dale Fuller, Harry Lorraine, Sidney D'Albrook, Tiny Ward, Earl Montgomery, Juliane Johnston, Hazel Keane, William De Vault, Hank Mann, Chester Conklin, Harry Todd, Snitz Edwards, Billy Franey, and Victor Potel!

This looks like a Slapsticon unto itself, six reels, released by Associated Exhibitors, and the advert tag-line is "A 27 Star Dramatic treat with ten prize-winning beauties and Ballet of 100 Hollywood Heartbreakers!".

Okay, somebody find this.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Hey, somebody on Nitrateville says TEA WITH A KICK may reside at Eastman House. I will look into this.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:30 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Hey, somebody on Nitrateville says TEA WITH A KICK may reside at Eastman House. I will look into this.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Cool!

Let us know what you find out, Richard.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 am

Pulse of the Studios

For Week Starting Monday July 2

UNIVERSAL STUDIO. Fred Datig, Casting. 570-081

Universal Film Manufacturing Co. (Universal release.)

Director: Harry Pollard Star: Reginald Denny Ass’t Director: Harry Webb Scenarist: Staff Type: Leather Pushers Progress: Schedule

Director: King Baggott Star: Baby Peggy Ass’t Director: Joe Barry Type: “Who's Baby Are You?” Progress: Editing

Director: Watson Star: Neely Edwards Ass’t Director: Holland Type: “Own A Home” Progress: Schedule

Director: Herbert Blache Star: Gladys Walton Ass’t Director: Sullivan Scenarist: Hugh Hoffman Type: “The Wild Party” Progress: 3rd Week

Director: Wm. A. Seiter Star: Baby Peggy Ass’t Director: Wright Type: “Editha's Burglar” Progress: Preparing

Director: Hobart Henley Star: Virginia Valli Ass’t Director: Arthur Smith Scenarist: Marion Fairfax Type: “Lady of Quality” Progress: 12th Week

Leon Lee Productions. Leon Lee Manager.

Dinky Dean Productions. Lew Lipton Manager.

Andy Gump Productions.

Jimmy Aubrey Productions.

Director: W. Hayes Star: Jimmy Aubrey Ass’t Director: Zimmerman Type: “Buttinsky” Progress: 2nd Week

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 1 pg. 18)

______________________________________________________________________________________

The Gladys Walton comedy-drama THE WILD PARTY had some good supporting players in it such as Dorothy Revier, Sidney De Grey, Lewis Sargent, Esther Ralston and Sidney Bracey.

LADY OF QUALITY was a Universal-Jewell melodrama which featured such comedy vets as Leo White, Earle Foxe, Peggy Cartwright, Bert Roach and Dorothea Wolbert.

Leon Lee worked with Larry Semon both as a producer and writer on some of his mid-1920's films.

I believe that THE BUTTINSKY was one of the last films that Jimmy Aubrey produced. After this he'd be making films for such producers as Joe Rock, the West Brothers and the Weiss Brothers before eventually segueing into supporting roles in many talkies and finally winding up doing numerous uncredited bit roles before his career fizzled out in the mid-1950s. He lived to a ripe old age before dying in 1983 (in his mid-90s). By all accounts I've heard, from those who met him, in these later years he was a bitter old man with nary a good word to say about any of the other comedians he had worked with.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 am

Pulse of the Studios

For Week Starting Monday July 2

VITAGRAPH STUDIOS. 1708 Talmadge. W. S. Smith, Mgr. 598131

Larry Semon Productions.

Director: J. Davis Star: Semon-Sedgewick Cameraman: H. Koenecamp Ass’t Director: J. Basil Scenarist: Semon Type: “The Cook” Progress: Last Week

WARNER BROS. STUDIOS, 5842 Sunset Blvd. Holly 4181

Warner Brothers Productions.

Director: Wm. Beaudine Star: Wesley Barry Cameraman: Dupar Ass’t Director: Roth-Webster Scenarist: Julien Josephson Type: “The Country Kid” Progress: 1st Week

Director: Harry Beaumont Star: All-Star Cameraman: Abel Ass’t Director: Strayer Scenarist: Grant Carpenter Type: “The Gold Diggers” Progress: 4th Week

Ernest Lubitsch Productions.

Director: Ernest Lubitsch Star: All-Star Progress: Preparing

The Larry Semon film THE COOK is a working title but I'm too tired right now to check what the actual release tile was. Can someone help me out here?

The comedy-drama THE GOLD DIGGERS was remade as an early musical-comedy in 1929 as GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY. In this 1923 version Louise Fazenda played the part later by Winnie Lightner. Gertrude Short played the same part in both versions.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 pm

[Advertisements]

EARL METCALFE
[photo accompanying]
Leads and Heavies
Just Finished:
FAIR PLAY WEEK (Lasky): SKID-PROOF (Fox)
Disengaged after July 1st. Phone Drexel 8089

On first vacation in twelve years

OTTO LEDERER
[photo accompanying]

MY 12 YEARS
2 Seasons with Mission Play
7 Years with Vitagraph
1 year tour of Orient
1 year with “Abie's Irish Rose” and 10 Feature productions

AT LIBERTY JULY 15th
HOLLYWOOD 3903

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 1 pg. 23)

Earl Metcalfe's main connection to comedy was his directing of the Billie Reeves comedies for Lubin in the teens. He only occasionally acted in comedies such Monty Banks' ATTA BOY (1928). Among his many dramatic parts was the male lead opposite Ruth Roland in the Hal Roach serial WHITE EAGLE (1922). He died young, at the age of 38, in 1928.

Otto Lederer was a busy actor in the silent era playing equally well in comedies and dramas. Among his better known comedy appearances are those in Laurel and Hardy's YOU'RE DARN TOOTIN' (1928) and Larry Semon's THE CLOUDHOPPER (1925) and WIZARD OF OZ (1925). Like Earl Metcalfe he also appeared in the Roach serial WHITE EAGLE (1922). In the 1930s he moved from acting to working as a make-up artist for Universal where he worked on several of their great horror movies.

Okay that's a wrap for another issue of CAMERA. I'll be back with a new issue in about a week.

Joe Moore

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:29 pm

This page is now posted on the Mugshots web site: http://www.slapsticon.org/mugshots/CameraJun3023.htm

Joe promises to send me the Dec. 31 1921 issue soon.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx