CAMERA Comedy Clippings, June 30, 1923

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Andrew Sholl
Associate

Re: CAMERA Comedy Clippings, June 30, 1923

Postby Andrew Sholl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:00 pm

And Thais Valdemar was briefly the partner of Karl Dane.

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Andrew Sholl wrote:And Thais Valdemar was briefly the partner of Karl Dane.

Interesting. Do you know if there was any truth in all that talk of her being a Russian princess or was that all a lot of Hollywood hooey?

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Pulse of the Studios

For Week Starting Monday July 2

BERWILLA STUDIO. 5821 Santa Monica Blvd. Ashton Dearholt, Pro. Mgr. Holly 3130

Eddie Lyons Productions (Arrow release).

Director: Eddie Lyons Star: Eddie Lyons Cameraman: McGill Ass’t Director.: Cooke Scenarist: Diltz Type: 2-Reel Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Eugen De Rue Star: Bobby Dunn Cameraman: McGill Ass’t Director.: Cooke Scenarist: Diltz Type: 2-Reel Comedies Progress: Schedule

BUSTER KEATON STUDIO. 1025 Lilian Way. Eddie Cline, Casting Holly 2814

Director: Jack Blystone Star: Buster Keaton Cameraman: E. Lessley-Thorp Ass’t Director.: Rose Progress: 2nd Week

Lou Anger Productions.

Director: Al Austin Star: Clyde Cook Cameraman: E. Lessley Ass’t Director.: Hale Type: ”Under Orders” Progress: Editing

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 1 pg. 17)

I'm assuming that the Clyde Cook comedy shown being filmed here at the Buster Keaton Studio was one of those released by Educational in 1924. I don't remember any of them being called UNDER ORDERS so I'm also assuming that this is a working title.

The unnamed Keaton film in production must be what came to be called OUR HOSPITALITY.

I see that Elgin Lessley is making some extra money by managing to work as cameraman on both films.

Joe Moore

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm assuming that the Clyde Cook comedy shown being filmed here at the Buster Keaton Studio was one of those released by Educational in 1924. I don't remember any of them being called UNDER ORDERS so I'm also assuming that this is a working title.

Joe Moore

UNDER ORDERS was the working title for the Clyde Cook short that was released by Educational as THE MISFIT in 1924.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks for providing that info on the Clyde Cook short Richard. There was quite a lag time between the production of this two-reeler and its release on March 23rd of the following year.

CENTURY STUDIO. 6100 Sunset Blvd. Julius Stern, Gen. Mgr. Bert Sternback, Casting. Holly 96

Director: Al Herman Star: Buddy Messinger Cameraman: Wm. Hyer Ass’t Director: Herman Type: “The Inventor” Progress: Schedule

CHAPLIN STUDIO. Alfred Reeves, Gen. Mgr. 1416 La Brea Ave. Holly 4070

Regent Film Company. (United Artists release).

Director: Charles Chaplin Star: Edna Purviance Cameraman: Rollin Totheroth Ass’t Director: Eddie Sutherland Scenarist: Monta Bell Type: “Public Opinion" Progress: Editing

I see that WOMAN OF PARIS is now listed under the working title of PUBLIC OPINION.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:07 am

Pulse of the Studios

CHRISTIE STUDIOS. Harry Edwards, Casting. 6101 Sunset. C. H. Christie, Gen. Mgr. Holly 3100

Director: Scott Sidney Star: Jimmy Adams Cameraman: Nagy Ass’t Director: Jas. Clemens Scenarist: Conklin Type:Comedy Progress: Editing

Director: H. Beaudine Star: Neal Burns Cameraman: Gus Peterson Ass’t Director: Ernest Levelle Scenarist: Conklin Type:2-Reel Comedy Progress: 2nd Week

FOX STUDIO. Arthur Forde, Casting. 1401 N. Western Ave. Fred Kley, Studio Mgr. Holly 3000

Director: Buckinham Star: Stock Cameraman: Sid Wagner Scenarist: Staff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Al St. John Star: Al St. John Cameraman: Ernest S. Depew Ass’t Director: Benny Stoloff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Slim Summerville Star: Stock Cameraman: Jay Turner Ass’t Director: Arthur Cohn Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Erle Kenton Star: Lew Brice Ass’t Director: Max Gold Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Henry Otto Star: Phyllis Haver Cameraman: Joe August Ass’t Director: Hollinghead Scenarist: Carr Type: “The Temple of Venus” Progress: 6th Week

THE TEMPLE OF VENUS was a fantasy film which, in addition to Phyllis Haver, also had Mickey McBan and Alice Day in support.

Can anyone tell me anything about this Lew Brice who is in the Erle Kenton directed Fox comedy. His is not a name that's ringing any bell for me?

Joe Moore

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:04 pm

I believe its Fanny Brice's brother.

I'm still throwing together a skeletal FOX silent short comedy filmography for all to ammend which I'll post soon, and looking today it seems Hugh Herbert made a Fox short MIND YOUR BUSINESS (7-21-1921). That would be interesting to see. Czechoslovakia anyone?

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:02 am

Tommie, thanks for the info on Lew Brice. I never knew that Fanny Brice had a brother in show business.

________________________________________________________________-

Pulse of the Studios

GOLDWYN STUDIO. R. B. McIntyre, Casting. Culver City. 761711

Director: Tod Browning Star: All-Star Cameraman: Wm. Silden Ass’t Director: Earl Taggart Scenarist: Kavanaugh Type: “The Day of Faith” Progress: 7th Week

Director: R. West Star: All-Star Ass’t Director: R. Ross Type: “Wild Oranges” Progress: Preparing

GRAND STUDIO. 1438 Gower St. Ben Verschleiser, General Manager. Holly 162

Monte Banks Productions, Inc.

Director: Herman Raymaker Star: Monte Banks Cameraman: Bill Williams Ass’t Director: Leslie Goodman Scenarist: Staff Type: 2-reel Comedy Progress: 1st Week

Director: H. Edwards Star: Monte Banks Cameraman: Bill Williams Ass’t Director: L. Goodman Scenarist: Staff Type: 2-reel Comedy Progress: Editing

Sid Smith Productions, Inc.

Director: Archie Mayo Star: Sid Smith Cameraman: Ken MacLean Ass’t Director: Chas. LeMont Scenarist: Fay Type: “Don't Play Hookie” Progress: 2nd Week

Director: Chas. Lemont Star: Sid Smith Cameraman: Ken MacLean Ass’t Director: Rollie Asher Scenarist: LeMont Type: “Hollywood Bound” Progress: 1st Week

Joe Rock Productions, Inc.

Director: Gil Pratt Star: Joe Rock Cameraman: Jerry Ash Ass’t Director: Dave Smith Type: “One Dark Knight” Progress: Editing

Director: Gillstrom Star: Joe Rock-Billy Rhodes Cameraman: Jerry Ash Ass’t Director: Dave Smith Scenarist: Staff Type: Comedy Progress: 1st Week

Both Raymond Griffith and Ford Sterling had supporting roles in THE DAY OF FAITH which is, I believe, unfortunately lost.
WILD ORANGES is still extant and Ford Sterling also has a nice supporting role in that film. I find it interesting to note here that Roland West was scheduled to direct the film as it got ready to go into production. He had to be replaced by King Vidor though. The reason most likely being that West was still tied up directing THE UNKNOWN PURPLE which was a San Carlos production then in its 6th week of filming on the Goldwyn lot.

The GRAND STUDIO sounds like it would have been a great place to wander around that week in early July 1923, what with Banks, Smith and Rock all shooting their comedies there!

Joe Moore
Last edited by Joe Moore on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 am

Pulse of the Studios

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS. 6642 Santa Monica Blvd. J. Jasper, Mgr. Holly 1431

Harold Lloyd Corporation-Wm. R. Fraser, Gen. Mgr.

Finis Fox Prod R. R. Bray, Gen Mgr.

Director: Finis Fox Star: All Star Cameraman: Hal Mohr Ass’t Director: Wm. Dashiell Scenarist: Lois Zellner Type: “Bag and Baggage” Progress: 2nd Week

Douglas MacLean Productions (Associated Exhibitors Release). J. R. Crone, Prod. Mgr.

LASKY STUDIOS. L. M. Goodstadt, Casting. 1520 Vine St. Holly 2400

Director: Jas. Cruze Star: Featured Cameraman: Karl Brown Ass’t Director: Vernon Keyes Scenarist: Tom Geraghty Type: “Ruggles of Red Gap” Progress: 2nd Week
(Camera Vol. 6 No. 1 pg. 18)

Things were pretty quiet on the Hollywood Studios lot this week back in 1923. Neither Douglas MacLean or Harold Lloyd's newly formed company had anything in production. Neither did the five other companies (Richard Thomas Productions, Irving Cummings Productions, Victor B. Fisher Productions, William P. S. Earle Inc., Supreme Art Productions) who had facilities on the lot have anything going. Only Finis Fox Productions had anything filming and that's the romantic comedy BAG AND BAGGAGE which includes in its "All-Star" cast names familiar to silent comedy fans such as Carmelita Geraghty, Fred Kelsey and Doreen Turner.
While over at the Lasky Studio things were busier they only had one comedy in production and that was James Cruze's RUGGLES OF RED GAP which had in its "featured" cast Edward Everett Horton, Lois Wilson, Ernest Torrence, Fritzi Ridgeway, Charles Ogle, Louise Dresser, William Austin, Kalla Pasha, and Sidney Bracy.
I believe that both of these are considered lost films.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 am

Pulse of the Studios

METRO STUDIO. Romaine and Cahuenga Ave. Harry Kerr, Casting. Holly 4485

Jackie Coogan Productions, Inc.

Director: Vic Schertzinger Star: Jackie Coogan Cameraman: Frank Good Ass’t Director: McDermott Scenarist: Mary Rob. Rinehart Type: “Long Live the King” Progress: 9th Week

PRINCIPAL PICTURE CORP. 7250 Santa Monica. Holly 2806

Director: Eddie Cline Star: Bowers-De la Mott Cameraman: Ned Van Buren Ass’t Director: Geraghty Type: “When a Man's a Man” Progress: 5th Week

Director: Al. Goulding Star: Langdon-Keener Cameraman: Smith Ass’t Director: Harry Langdon Type: “The New Mail Man” Progress: 2nd Week

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 1 pg. 18)

The Jackie Coogan picture LONG LIVE THE KING had in supporting roles Eddie Boland, Monty Collins and Alan Hale. Anyone know if its extant?

Some interesting information coming to light on Harry Langdon under the Principal Picture listing.
For one I have never heard of this this title- THE NEW MAIL MAN -being used in conjunction with any of Harry's work at Principal. Anybody else ever run across it?
Another item of note is that Harry was also working as the AD on the picture. He seems to have taken an interest in learning the behind the scenes working of motion pictures right from the get-go.
Lastly, I don't remember seeing where any of Harry's co-stars in the Principal productions have been previously identified. I'm going to guess that the Keener listed here may be Hazel Keener, who had already appeared in such comedies as THE BRASS BOTTLE-1923-(with Harry Myers, Ernest Torrence, Tully Marshall and Ford Sterling), THE MARRIED FLAPPER-1922-(with Marie Prevost and Kathleen O'Connor) and TEA-WITH A KICK-1923- (which was mentioned earlier in this thread) and who would in the future appear in Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN-1925 (as well as several Fred Thomson westerns).

Joe Moore