Billy Franey on ebay

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Ian Elliot
Associate

Billy Franey on ebay

Postby Ian Elliot » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:10 am

I don't know how rare stills are from Billy Franey's Reelcraft series, but I thought I'd point this one out. The film--is it THE CHEF?--must exist, at least in part, there's a frame from it on Mr. Farr's Mug Shots home page. Are the other actors known? The writing on the back is interesting, I can make out "with Reel craft eight months","Nat Spitzer" and "Bronson".

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNIDENTIFIED-ACTOR-A ... 836wt_1088

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Billy Franey on ebay

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:04 am

Ian Elliot wrote:I don't know how rare stills are from Billy Franey's Reelcraft series, but I thought I'd point this one out. The film--is it THE CHEF?--must exist, at least in part, there's a frame from it on Mr. Farr's Mug Shots home page. Are the other actors known? The writing on the back is interesting, I can make out "with Reel craft eight months","Nat Spitzer" and "Bronson".

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNIDENTIFIED-ACTOR-A ... 836wt_1088

Yes, this is from THE CHEF (1921) and it does exist, I have a print of it. The big guy threatening Franey is Charles A Post I believe. The lovely leading lady is in a number of Franey and other Reelcraft shorts from the period,but I haven;t yet found her credited in any of them. maybe Steve Massa has the name. She looks a bit like Julie Leonard, but I don't think it's her.

Stills from Franey comedies are rare, but not impossible to find. I have several, including one from THE THIEF (1921) that was used in the Slapsticon Program Book several years ago. Since Franey is Slapsticon's official poet laureate, I've had to dig up as many illustrations of him as possible for use in the program books.

RICHARD M ROBERTS