Fox Silent Shorts List

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Fox Silent Shorts List

Postby Steve Massa » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi guys
I've got a few cast additions to Rob's list of Lehrman produced titles.

HOUSE OF TERRIBLE SCANDALS - I saw the first reel of this one in the Netherlands and Russ Powell and Sid Smith also turn up.

ARE MARRIED POLICEMAN SAFE - A survivng glass slide has Hugh Fay, Winifred Westover, and Guy Woodward on it.

SON OF A GUN - There was a photo from this on ebay a couple of years ago with Billie Ritchie, Winifred Westover, and Minnie Ha-Ha (from FATTY AND MINNIE HEE-HAW and MICKEY, etc.)

A SELF-MADE LADY -We have a photo at the NYPL with Dot Farley and Victor Potel.

HUNGRY LIONS IN A HOSPITAL - From our Slapsticon screening the cast included Charles Dorety, Frank Hayes, Gene Rogers, Bert Gillespie, Jess Weldon and Heinie Conklin.

Steve

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:51 am

This is a very thorough list of credits for Lehrman, Rob. A few more additions and comments:

THE HOUSE OF TERRIBLE SCANDALS – You can add Montana Kid (a dog) to the cast
A MILK-FED VAMP – Add Jack Richardson to the cast. I have a sole newspaper ad that claims that Dot Farley, Sam Beverly, and Ernest Shields were in the cast, but take that with a grain of salt
SMASHED IN THE CAREER – I have reviews for this film under this title and the alternate title HIS SMASHING CAREER as well. Moving Picture World ads and a lobby card all refer to it under the latter title, so I suspect it was a last minute title change. Motography claims that Billie Ritchie was in the cast as well
SHADOWS OF HER PEST – It was frequently and incorrectly advertised as PAST instead of PEST
ARE MARRIED POLICEMEN SAFE? – This was released on 02/17/1918.
MY HUSBAND’S WIFE – Hugh Fay was in the cast
A SELF-MADE LADY – Released on 03/15/1918
A NEIGHBOR’S KEYHOLE – Charles Dorety and Hugh Fay in cast
WILD WOMEN AND TAME LIONS – I have a sole ad that claims that Ritchie was the star
WHO’S YOUR FATHER? – Add Charles Conklin, Frank Hayes, Vic Potel, and Tom Wilson to cast
MONGRELS – 11/10/1918 was the originally announced release date, but release was postponed for a week to 11/17/1918. Add Getrude Selby, Jimmie Adams, and Charles Dorety to cast
OH! WHAT A KNIGHT! – Fred Fishback was the director. Add Jack Cooper to the cast
MONEY TALKS – Release date 03/23/1919
HIS MUSICAL SNEEZE – Add Jimmie Adams and Vera Steadman to cast
A LADY BELL-HOP’S SECRET – This was the notorious stolen negative film that "disappeared" concurrent with Lehrman leaving Sunshine. MPW announced several upcoming release dates of 02/02/1919 and 02/23/1919, but it appears that it actually saw release on 05/04/1919. Director: William Campbell; Cast: Hugh Fay and Betty Carpenter. Director and cast taken from a 12/07/1918 MPW article that doesn’t state the film’s title, but by process of elimination I’m reasonably confident that this is the film.

Tom R

Frank Flood
Cugine

Postby Frank Flood » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:26 am

I have compiled the additions and changes made by Steve Massa and Tom Reeder, together with some of my own, to Rob Farr's list of Henry Lehrman Sunshines. Considering that he only managed to turn out 27 comedies over two seasons, Lehrman and Fox seem to have made a considerable impression with these films. On the strength of this popularity, it seems that Fox could send the Sunshines into the farthest reaches of an "All Star/No-Star" format, keep actor credits out of the publicity for these films altogether, and market them on the strength of the brand for several more years.

Of my changes, I am confident enough of them to put them down here. That said, these represent bits and pieces picked all over the place over a long period of time, so do keep your skepticism at the ready.

1916-17

c.2-18 THE HOUSE OF TERRIBLE SCANDALS (3 rls; p./w./d. HL; c. HL, Billy Ritchie, Dot Farley, "Lakin"(?), Bert Roach, Gertrude Selby (?)) LP 10253. Add Russ Powell, Sid Smith, Montana Kid (dog).

1917-18

11-11 ROARING LIONS AND WEDDING BELLS (2 rls.; p/sc. HL; d. William Campbell (& HL & Jack White?); c. Lloyd Hamilton, Mildred Lee, Charles Dorety, Jack Richardson, Jess Weldon, Jimmie Adams, Tom Wilson, Mario Bianchi) LP 11529

11-25 THE MILK-FED VAMP (2 rls; sup./w. HL; d. David Kirkland) LP 11156. Add Jack Richardson, Jess Weldon, Jimmie Adams, Dot Farley, Sam Beverly, Ernest Shields.

12-9 SMASHED IN THE CAREER (2 rls; s./d. HL; c. Victor Potel; Billy Bevan, Gertude Selby). Add Billie Ritchie.

12-23 DAMAGED-NO GOODS (2 rls; sup. HL; d. Jack White, Jay Howe) LP 11480. Add W.E. Lawrence, Lloyd Hamilton, Mildred Lee, Dave Morris, Gertrude Selby, Davidson (Max Davidson?), Anita Burrell

1-6 SHADOWS OF HER PAST (2 rls; HL) LP 11927. Add Dot Farley, Ernie Sheilds, Victor Potel, Al Ray.

1-13 ARE MARRIED POLICEMEN SAFE? (2 rls; sup./st./sc. HL; d. Richard Jones) LP 11981. Add Billie Ritchie, Winifred Westover, Hugh Fay, Charles Conklin, Guy Woodward.

2-3 SON OF A GUN (2 rls; p./sup./st./sc. HL; d. Richard Jones) LP 11962. Add Billie Ritchie, Hugh Fay, Winifred Westover, Sid Smith, Minnie Ha-Ha.

2-3 HUNGRY LIONS IN A HOSPITAL (2 rls.; sup./p./st./sc. HL; d. Jack White; ph. R. D. Armstrong, A. Vallet; c. Lloyd Hamilton, Mildred Lee, Jimmie Adams, Tom Wilson, Ethel & Gene (lions) LP 11961. Add Charles Dorety, Frank Hayes, Gene Rogers, Bert Gillespie, Jess Weldon, Charles Conklin.

3-3 A (MY?) HUSBAND'S WIFE (d. HL?). Add Jimmie Adams, Hugh Fay.

3-24 A SELF-MADE LADY (2 rls; d./st./sc. HL; c. Dot Farley) LP 12237. Add Dot Farley, Victor Potel, Bobby Vernon, Edgar Kennedy, John Rand. 3/24/18 is the copyright date; 3/15/18 is the release date.

4-7 A WAITER'S WASTED LIFE (2 rls; d. Jack White, William H. Watson; sc. Henry Lehrman; c. Lloyd Hamilton, Eileen Percy, Jimmie Adams, Anita Burrell, Tom Kennedy) LP 12283

5-5 A NEIGHBOR'S KEYHOLE (2 rls; d. HL) LP 12488. Add Charles Dorety, Hugh Fay.

6-2 WILD WOMEN AND TAME LIONS (2 rls; HL; d. William Campbell) LP 12523. Add Billie Ritchie, Ford Sterling, Ethel Teare, Tom Kennedy.

6-30 WHO'S YOUR FATHER? (2 rls; p. HL; d./c. Tom Mix) LP 12654. Add Tom Mix, Charles Conklin, Victor Potel, Frank Hayes, Guy Woodward, Tom Wilson.

7-28 A TIGHT SQUEEZE (2 rls.; d. Jack White, William H. Watson; ph. George Meehan; c. Lloyd Hamilton, Ethel Teare, Jimmie Adams, Charles Dorety, Tom Kennedy) LP 12713. Add Dave Morris, Frank Coleman, Mae Ecclestone, Frank Hayes, Fritz Schade.

8-25 A HIGH DIVER'S LAST KISS (2 rls; d. Noel Smith) LP 12837. Add Slim Summerville, Bobby Dunn, Betty Carpenter, Frank Coleman.

1918-19

9-22 ROARING LIONS ON THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS (2 rls; p./d. HL; c. Hugh Fay, Billie Ritchie, Jimmie Adams, Lloyd Hamilton, Monty Banks) LP 12899. Add Dave Morris, Jack Cooper, Sylvia Day, Frank Coleman, Mae Ecclestone, Charles Dudley.

11-10 MONGRELS (2 rls.; sup. HL; d. Jack White; c. Lloyd Hamilton) LP 13066. Add Charles Dorety, Gertrude Selby, Dave Morris, Jimmie Adams.

12-15 THE FATAL MARRIAGE (2 rls; p./sup. HL; d. William Campbell; c. Hugh Fay, Billie Ritchie , Ethel (Teare?), (?) Allan, Charles Dorety) LP 13138

12-29 THE SON OF A HUN (2 rls; p./sup. HL; d. Jack White; c. Lloyd Hamilton, Gertrude Selby, Dave Morris, Jimmie Adams) LP 13212. Add Charles Dorety.

1-26 O! WHAT A KNIGHT (2 rls; d. HL; c. Mack Swain, Ethel Teare) LP 13322. Add Jack Cooper; Fred Fishback is the director.

2-9 A ROMAN COWBOY (2 rls; w./d./c. Tom Mix) LP 10715. This is a 1917 release that was reissued, as were a number of Sunshines of that vintage, presumably to fill the void when Lehrman left.

2-23 MONEY TALKS (d. Fred Fishback; c. Mack Swain, Jack Cooper; Gertrude Selby). Release date 3/23/19.

2-23 HIS MUSICAL SNEEZE (2 rls.; sup. HL: d. Jack White; c. Lloyd Hamilton, Virginia Rappe, Glen Cavender) LP 13463 Add Jimmie Adams, Frank Coleman.

4-20 THE HOUSE OF TERRIBLE SCANDAL (re-issue of the 1917 film?). A glass slide for this film (with Billie Ritchie on view) calls this an "Up-to-Date 1919 version."

5-4 A LADY BELLHOP’S SECRET (2 rls; d. William Campbell; c. Hugh Fay, Betty Carpenter).

Frank

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:58 pm

PHEW! What a hassle trying to remember your password! Scheez! But I got it!
Hello Folks... Here's a few (hopefully) additional credits to this Fox list, I'll add more soon.
(Sorry, been so busy at work, at play and on the Ben Turpin project)
BTW, is there an L-KO Universal list somewhere? A Joker, Nestor, or Victor list?
I may have additional credits from my years before joining the mafia; will check.

In any case, here's a few early Fox casts...
# 3 - The Cloud Puncher w: Charles Conklin, Carmen Phillips, Joe Lee, John Lancaster
# 4 - His Ticklish Job w: Hank Mann, Dan White, Gordon Mullen
# 5 - His Merry Mix-Up w: Chas Conklin, Gordon Mullen, Peggy Prevost, Bob Sanborn
# 7 - The Film Spoilers w: Chas Conklin, Peggy Prevost, Sidney DeGrey
# 9 - His Bomb Policy w: Chas Conklin, Mae Busch
# ? - There's Many A Fool w: Charles Parrott, Carmen Phillips

Here's hoping someone can put all the posters additions & corrections in an easy-to-read list;
These have gotten me all google-eyed!
See y'all, SteveR