Joan Castle

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Ian Elliot
Associate

Joan Castle

Postby Ian Elliot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:00 pm

I just came across this December obituary piece in the Telegraph, thought it might be of a little interest as Miss Castle, briefly a Fox contractee, appeared as El Brendel's niece in MR. LEMON OF ORANGE and made a brief stop at Sennett for FALSE IMPRESSIONS, also working in some Educational and Vitaphone shorts before marrying a British noble and residing in a castle of her own:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... astle.html

Frank Flood
Cugine

Re: Joan Castle

Postby Frank Flood » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I have Joan Castle credited in the casts of:

HERE, PRINCE (Vitaphone, 10/1/32) with Joe Penner
I KNOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYBODY'S RACKET (Universal, 1/33) with Walter Winchell
WRONGORILLA (Vitaphone, 3/4/33) with Jack Haley
LAUGHS IN THE LAW (Vitaphone one-reeler, 10/21/33) with Don Coleman and Hugh Cameron
FRESH FROM THE FLEET (Educational, 4/24/36) with Tom Patricola and Buster West
GOLD BRICKS (Educational, 3/20/36) with Bert Lahr

There are a number of the Vitaphone shorts from 1931-33 with pretty spotty credits, so she may be in some more of those.

Frank

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 pm

I wonder who she is supposed to be in FALSE IMPRESSIONS? It says she "joined Sennett stalwarts Dorothy Granger and Marjorie Beebe" in it, but they are the two female leads and there aren't any other female roles on that level. And most of the others are accounted for in my book, unless she was acting under a different pseudonym. She might be one of the extras who are servants posing as society people while their employers are on vacation.

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 pm

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that she's not in FALSE IMPRESSIONS, and that it's another IMDB error that circulates. I checked your filmography, Brent, and you have a "Jean Castle" listed among the bit players in this film, perhaps this person was just confused with Joan Castle somewhere along the way. It's rather unlikely that Joan Castle would be a featured player at Fox in 1931 and in the background in a Sennett two reeler in 1932.