Any approximate date on this fan?

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Louie Despres
Associate

Any approximate date on this fan?

Postby Louie Despres » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 pm

My father just recently picked this up for me and I was just wondering if I could get an approximate time of when it might have been issued.

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Re: Any approximate date on this fan?

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 pm

I'd place that one at about 1914, Louis.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:10 pm

The key is Blanche Cornwall, whose starring career lasted from 1912-1913. Figuring that Ford Sterling and Mabel Normand didn't really become name stars until they were with Keystone for a spell, 1913 is the best guess from this corner.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:00 am

I'd suggest that this was a promotional item laid on by the Mutual Film Corp., then distributing for the various companies these actors were working for. Almost all the same names appear in the Mutual ads reproduced on pages 6 and 7 of W.K. Everson's American Silent Film. And it looks like Edgena de Lespine's brief film stardom was in 1913 as well.

Bob Birchard

Postby Bob Birchard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:39 pm

I concur with the 1913 date, but disagree with the notion that this was a Mutual promotional item. Alice Joyce was with Kalem, Tom Santschi and Kathlyn Williams were with Selig, the Lionel Barrymore photo is definitely from Biograph--all companies that released through General Film. I think it is a more generic "fan" fan