Vaudeville resources?

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Louie Despres
Associate

Vaudeville resources?

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm

I have no idea if this is the correct section to put this, but where are the institutions where one could go and research vaudeville performers? Are there particular publications that I should be searching? I am looking for further information on El Brendel and his wife Flo Bert during their early stage days.

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Vaudeville resources?

Postby Steve Massa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Louie
We have a lot of vaudeville material in the Billy Rose Theatre Collection. A good publication to check is Vaudeville News. This ran through the 1920s and later combined with The New York Star. There's also National Vaudeville Association Yearbooks, which usually have ads for all the acts touring the country. We also have clipping files on indivduals, acts and even specific theatres.

Didn't you mention making a trip to New York a while ago?

Steve

Chris Snowden
Associate

Postby Chris Snowden » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Steve, have you ever run across anything documenting the act called Swayne's Rats and Cats? Groucho Marx and George Burns both taked about what an amazing act that was, but it isn't mentioned in Joe Laurie Jr.'s big vaudeville history, or in any other source I've seen. Can we really document that the act existed?

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Variety magazine is a great source of information too. They provide fairly accurate appearance schedules and detailed reviews of the various acts. Most major libraries have the complete microfilm series.

-- PG

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Steve Massa wrote:Hi Louie
Didn't you mention making a trip to New York a while ago?

Steve

Yes, I did, but it's just a matter of finding time away from work and being able to actually spend some time there. I will get down before the end of the year and let you know.

Louie

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Variety magazine is a great source of information too. They provide fairly accurate appearance schedules and detailed reviews of the various acts. Most major libraries have the complete microfilm series.

-- PG

Paul,
I have been searching for a half hour and haven't been able to find many for the time period I have been looking for in Massachusetts. Even the Boston Public Library is a no go. Think I'll try my local and see if they can get some stuff on loan. Thanks for the help!

Louie

Rob King
Associate

Postby Rob King » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm

The following website is damn valuable for all kinds of vaudeville research. All praise LoC!

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vshome.html

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 am

Chris
I'll check if we have anyhing on Swanye's Rats and Cats.

Steve

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 am

Chris Snowden wrote:Steve, have you ever run across anything documenting the act called Swayne's Rats and Cats? Groucho Marx and George Burns both taked about what an amazing act that was, but it isn't mentioned in Joe Laurie Jr.'s big vaudeville history, or in any other source I've seen. Can we really document that the act existed?

A quick perusal of newspaperarchive.com turns up the following blurb in the Hagerstown Maryland DAILY MAIL, dated January 18, 1917:

AT THE MARYLAND TODAY.
The Maryland's special picked
vaudeville for the last half of this
week will be a surprise as to quality
and quantity. The bill opens with
Swaine's Rats and Cats act. This is
out of the ordinary and will be found
as pleasing and entertaining as were
his (Swaine's) cocktoos recently.

I wouldn't trust that the spelling is correct here, but at least we now know the act really did exist!

Michael

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Michael J Hayde wrote:
Chris Snowden wrote:Steve, have you ever run across anything documenting the act called Swayne's Rats and Cats? Groucho Marx and George Burns both taked about what an amazing act that was, but it isn't mentioned in Joe Laurie Jr.'s big vaudeville history, or in any other source I've seen. Can we really document that the act existed?

A quick perusal of newspaperarchive.com turns up the following blurb in the Hagerstown Maryland DAILY MAIL, dated January 18, 1917:

AT THE MARYLAND TODAY.
The Maryland's special picked
vaudeville for the last half of this
week will be a surprise as to quality
and quantity. The bill opens with
Swaine's Rats and Cats act. This is
out of the ordinary and will be found
as pleasing and entertaining as were
his (Swaine's) cocktoos recently.

I wouldn't trust that the spelling is correct here, but at least we now know the act really did exist!

Michael

I'd trust this spelling more than Groucho and George's memories--particularly since, according to what Bob Birchard was once told by Burns' publicist, George couldn't read or write.