Al St. John frames

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Ian Elliot
Associate

Al St. John frames

Postby Ian Elliot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm sure these would have been noticed by members here eventually, but I wonder if anyone has an ID for the frames from the Al St. John picture just posted by the Nitrate Film Interest Group. Is it a hitherto lost Fox Sunshine?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nfig/sets/ ... 360742905/

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Re: Al St. John frames

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

Never saw these pics posted (thanks Ian), but I actually saw this unidentified film a few years back and am pretty sure Steve Massa figured out the title based on a print at the former Nederlands Filmmuseum.
I remember the beginning how Hilliard Karr steals & drinks up several large containers of milk from Al St John before Al gets wise; and another scene where a few various suitors striving for the attentions of the female lead as she sits on a swing, swinging, and kicking them all over a cliff into the waters far below. And I do remember Al, on his bike, carrying that huge box! LOL

SteveR

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm

It's the first reel of Al's 11/19/1922 Fox release OUT OF PLACE. As StevO R. mentioned the Nederlands Filmmuseum (that's Eye Institute now) has a complete print, and LOC has reel 2 as well. The supporting cast includes Hilliard Karr (dressed just like and doing old Arbuckle gags), Ford West, Si Jenks, James Donnelly, Billy Engle and Tiny Ward.

In the second reel Al leaves the small town for the big city, and has great difficulting dining in a fancy supper club. Al is credited as director, but from the gags and sophistication of the direction, this is one of the films I suspect he may have had a little help from his uncle Roscoe on.

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Thank you, Steve, for all the info and for clearing this up!