Short Subject Filmographies Galore

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Rob Farr
Godfather

Short Subject Filmographies Galore

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 am

I don't normally crosspost between forums, but Harold Aherne on Nitrateville made note of a cascade of short comedy filmographies being posted on The Classic Film Union Blog at the TCM site:

"I don't recall whether I've mentioned this before, but a user named Jlewis at TCM's Classic Film Union has posted very extensive filmographies for many studios' output of short films. In general, they're more extensive for the 20s onward than for earlier in the silent era and I don't know how complete they are, but they make for fascinating browsing.

http://tinyurl.com/6b4qzkt

Year-by-year data is available for Educational, Fox (pre- and post-merger), MGM, Warners, Columbia, RKO and Paramount (from 1927). Some have only the copyright date and no precise released date (and I spotted one goof in the Paramount 28-29 section: Divorce Made Easy was a feature), but overall it's well worth your time to have a look. - Harold"
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Chris Seguin

Re: Short Subject Filmographies Galore

Postby Chris Seguin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Amazing!
"For The Love of Fanny" is now my favourite title ever...!
Chris

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:19 pm

I stumbled across a book at the library written 4 yrs, or so, ago (and who's title I cannot for the life
of me remember...) about the coming of sound. But instead of concentrating on THE JAZZ SINGER
and sounds development with feature films, this book zeroes in on the short subjects that were
used for the advancement of sound. There are quick, brief chapters on momentous moments,
such as the Vitaphone shorts, but the book is mostly a reference guide as it lists a complete
filmography (or tries...) of all studio shorts made during the first 5 years of sound.

I'm wondering if this TCM blogger used that book as a basis for his lists.

Bob Birchard

Postby Bob Birchard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Rob Farr wrote:I don't normally crosspost between forums, but Harold Aherne on Nitrateville made note of a cascade of short comedy filmographies being posted on The Classic Film Union Blog at the TCM site:

"I don't recall whether I've mentioned this before, but a user named Jlewis at TCM's Classic Film Union has posted very extensive filmographies for many studios' output of short films. In general, they're more extensive for the 20s onward than for earlier in the silent era and I don't know how complete they are, but they make for fascinating browsing.

http://tinyurl.com/6b4qzkt

Year-by-year data is available for Educational, Fox (pre- and post-merger), MGM, Warners, Columbia, RKO and Paramount (from 1927). Some have only the copyright date and no precise released date (and I spotted one goof in the Paramount 28-29 section: Divorce Made Easy was a feature), but overall it's well worth your time to have a look. - Harold"

Truly an amazing resource, but not exhautively complete and with some errors--listing the Tom Mix 2-reelers as 3-reelers in the 1917-1919 Fox list and listing Robert Eddy as director(He only co-directed "Hearts and Saddles"), and missing "His Merry Mixup" released March 26, 1917, 2r, directed by Charles Parrott, Cast: Charles Conklin, Peggy Prevost [still code 5-], for example.

Still, great to have this information available.