Candid Photo Archive

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Brent Walker
Capo

Re: Candid Photo Archive

Postby Brent Walker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:16 pm

It's hard to tell from this small scan since its hard to see his face, but I wonder if the Arab with the beard to the left and behind Cook might be Leo Sulky. He's in THE GUIDE, and some other Fox comedies from that period, and I've seen him before wearing exaggerated eyebrows in some character parts.

Andrew Sholl
Associate

Postby Andrew Sholl » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Steve Massa wrote:Hi guys
Of the Cook Fox comedies I've seen THE CHAUFFEUR, KISS ME QUICK, THE ARTIST and THE GUIDE. None of the above had that Bagdadish kind of setting. Clyde looks like he's dressed the way he is in THE CHAUFFEUR - maybe he wore that in other shorts as well, or he's visiting another set in his CHAUFFEUR outfit?

Steve

Here are some close-ups for you from the earlier photograph:

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the blow-ups. In the fourth image the arab with his arm around the gentleman wearing the derby is character actor Robert Kortman. That's definitely Slim Summerville in the fifth image.

Steve

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Sure is Slim Summerville and Bob Kortman.
...and I do believe the gent in the derby is Jack Blystone.

By the looks of Slim, it must have been a hot day.

SteveR

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi guys
Bringing up this old thread again as a photo recently posted on facebook by the Laurel and Hardy Archive i.d.ed this film as HIGH AND DRY (12/24/1922). As we thought it's one of Cook's Fox Comedies and directed by Slim Summerville. In the shot on facebook Clyde is dressed in the same outfit on the Arabian set with girls pulling his arms in either direction. One looks like this Arabian girl girl with the veil on her head, the other Sybil Sealy.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:[color=#BF0000][b]CAUTION: The following photo is of questionable taste and contains nudity
(however mock) and may possibly offend.

It fact, it is brilliantly tasteless no matter how one looks at it.

Herewith is a photo of Robert Woolsey and friend.

If I recall the story correctly, someone at the studio made this gag photo
for Bob during the filming of SO THIS IS AFRICA. He, in turn, sent copies
to co-workers, friends, family and the unsuspecting in an attempt to both
shock and confound. At least that's how I heard it.

Paging Mr. Watz: Are you able to verify this tale?

-- PG

(FYI -- I usually refer to this still as "So This Is Bob...")

HAAAAA!!!! Paul, a friend who saw that I was now online just forwarded the photo of Bob Woolsey you had posted here - that little (or perhaps "lengthy") gag photo was instigated by Buster Libott, Columbia's boom man who mostly worked with Ed Bernds. Buster and Ed were assigned to Wheeler & Woolsey's Columbia epic, SO THIS IS AFRICA in October 1932. Bob Woolsey became very chummy with the film crew and became particularly close to Bus Libott. "Handsome" Woolsey was a great kidder, he fancied himself to be a Ladies' Man, and the film's cast included 42 chorus girls...all the ingredients necessary for Bus to conspire with his pals in the Stills Department to create this gag photo. And yes, Bob Woolsey DID love the still, friends who got his Christmas card that year received a wallet-size version as a gift - Bob wrote on the back of each copy, "Just a little something to remember me by"!

You know, I had included this story in my Wheeler & Woolsey MS but McFarland took it out...

Thanks Paul for making me feel right at home here - among my friends, good company and great topics. Looking forward to picking up where I left off a couple of years ago...before Richard was so rudely interrupted...
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 am

I guess since no one has posted here in a while I should. Here's just about the entire main crew of the 1929 film "Hot for Paris" with a bunch of showgirls. Right in the fron, El Brendel, Raoul Walsh (with newly lost eye), Fifi D'orsay, Victor McLaglen, and the other guy looks VERY familiar, but I can't place him.

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 am

The guy in the front next to McLaglen is Charles Judels.

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Tue May 14, 2013 5:24 am

Front right is Charles Judels.