Heinie & Louie

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Stone
Associate

Heinie & Louie

Postby Rob Stone » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Just posted a paragraph or two on HEINIE & LOUIE on my blog: http://www.treborenots.blogspot.com.

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Heinie & Louie

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Rob
Just found some info to go along with your blog entry on the Mittenthal "Heinie & Louie" series where you mention that Walter Kendig (Louie) died in October of 1915 but the series sailed on.

The shorts continued until early 1917 so there could have been a number of Louie "replacements." Mittenthal and Pathe seems to have tried to keep the Q.T. on the whole thing as only Jimmy Aubrey is billed in the Pathe Bulletins from 1916 on. Anyway, I came across this entry in the 10/21/1916 Motion Picture News Studio Directory:

"Redmond, Elmer E., comedian; b. Pittsburgh, May 5, 1887; educ. Pittsburgh; stage career, vaud. 5 yrs. as "Redmond and Smith" and "Starkey and Redmond," also in stock and in prods. of "Just Like John, " "Get-Rich-Quick-Wallingford," "Searchlights," "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm," "School Days," "Panhandle Pete," etc.; screen career, Solax, 1 yr. with Eclair as comedian and asst. director, Famous ("Spitfire," etc.), Pathe (Louie in "Heinie and Louie" comedies). Hght., 5 ft. 4 in., wght., 124; dark brown hair, brown eyes. Ad., Screen Club, N.Y.C."

Haven't found any other trace of info on Mr. Redmond yet, but will check at Library when I go to work tomorrow.
Steve

David Denton
Capo

Re: Heinie & Louie

Postby David Denton » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 am

Rob,

We viewed a Heinie & Louie at Slapsticon a couple of years back, "It's a Hard Life", it's at LOC. Do you think that was a "post Kendig" H & L? It seemed later than 1915. I think Crimmins and Gore are in there as well.

David