Mack Sennett's Fun Factory blog

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Brent Walker
Capo

Mack Sennett's Fun Factory blog

Postby Brent Walker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Happy New Year everyone! I'm starting off 2010 by launching a new Mack Sennett blog to supplement my book Mack Sennett's Fun Factory (even at 671 pages there was a lot I didn't have room for).

The first post features a rare shot of Mack Sennett surveying the scene from his tower. Here it is:

http://macksennett.blogspot.com

David B Pearson
Capo

Re: Mack Sennett's Fun Factory blog

Postby David B Pearson » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am

Holy crap, the book is good, even at $125.

Only, where's Charlie?

And why all the "F-Words" regarding Arbuckle?

DBP

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:13 pm

So,

Is it better for Brent for us to buy the book now, or will he have coppies at Slapsticon for which he will get 100% profit ( rather than splitting it with the bookstore).
I did get a Barnes & Noble gift certificate for my birthday, and I am trying to wrangle up the rest of the finds.

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Agnes McFadden wrote:So,

Is it better for Brent for us to buy the book now, or will he have coppies at Slapsticon for which he will get 100% profit ( rather than splitting it with the bookstore).
I did get a Barnes & Noble gift certificate for my birthday, and I am trying to wrangle up the rest of the finds.

Agnes McFadden

Methinks tis better to save up your sheckels and bring them to Slapsticon where Brent will indeed be bringing piles of books to sell and autograph. McFarland's already made their money on the ones they sold him, now it's Brent's turn

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Agnes, I will definitely be bringing copies to Slapsticon.

David, thanks, though I'm not sure what you mean about Charlie. And I don't use the F-word in my book, though I do use the N-word once, in printing the un-pc working title of one of the blackface Keystones.

Brent

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I must say, Brent, I FINALLY got my copy from B&N (after getting 2 destroyed copies through the mail) and it's an AMAZING book. I don't know if I can swing Slapsticon this year but if I can make it will you sign already purchased copies?

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:17 pm

Louie Despres wrote:Will you sign already purchased copies?

I am sure Brent will be glad to, if I may speak for him. He's a swell guy (as we know). He was happy to sign my "Films of the Bowery Boys" book when it was a couple of decades old!

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Brent Walker wrote:
I don't use the F-word in my book, though I do use the N-word once, in printing the un-pc working title of one of the blackface Keystones.

Brent

I think regarding Roscoe Arbuckle, the "F-word" is "Fatty" (as opposed to calling him Roscoe). That is probably what David means.

I always refer to Mr. Arbuckle as Roscoe, never "Fatty" and correct people when they don't seem to get the difference.

Brent Walker
Capo

Postby Brent Walker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Richard Finegan wrote:
Brent Walker wrote:
I don't use the F-word in my book, though I do use the N-word once, in printing the un-pc working title of one of the blackface Keystones.

Brent

I think regarding Roscoe Arbuckle, the "F-word" is "Fatty" (as opposed to calling him Roscoe). That is probably what David means.

I always refer to Mr. Arbuckle as Roscoe, never "Fatty" and correct people when they don't seem to get the difference.

The key word being "the difference." As a person he was Roscoe Arbuckle, and when he was a director he was known as Roscoe Arbuckle. But as a comedian--the reason for which he is most remembered--he was known as Fatty Arbuckle, and it would be historically inaccurate and irresponsible not to refer to him as such--just as it would be inaccurate to write a book about some other famous comedians and only refer to them as Joseph Keaton, Julius Marx, Harry Fraser, etc. In my filmography, I always refer to the director as Roscoe Arbuckle, and the actor as Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle (even though often the "Roscoe" was not used). My goal was to accurately document history, warts and all, not rewrite history.

Roscoe Arbuckle was understandably not very fond of becoming famous under that professional name, nor--I'm sure--were Frank "Fatty" Alexander, Hilliard" Fat" Karr, and others, nor was Willie Best likely fond of being billed as "Sleep N Eat." But the fact is, he was billed under the name Fatty Arbuckle, and known to the public (belovedly) as Fatty Arbuckle. It would be nice to be able to go back in time and rewrite history so that films could be retitled ROSCOE'S CHANCE ACQUAINTANCE, MABEL AND ROSCOE'S MARRIED LIFE, ROSCOE JOINS THE FORCE, etc., but alas we can't, and so we've got to report accurately, with all due respect to anyone who might be offended. (For any young person out there choosing to live a life of political correctness, silent comedy is definitely not the path to choose.)

I'm typing this while looking up at some framed sheet music on my wall:
'Sipping Cider Thru' a Straw (Thipping Thider Thru' a Thtraw) Dedicated to "Fatty" Arbuckle The Famous Paramount Comedian'
Subtitled 'A Comedy "Lisping" Song'

2010 updated version:
'Sipping Cider Thru' a Straw Dedicated to Roscoe Arbuckle The Famous Paramount Comedian'
Subtitled 'A Comedy "Speaking Normal" Song'

Brent

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Brent Walker wrote:[
Roscoe Arbuckle was understandably not very fond of becoming famous under that professional name, nor--I'm sure--were Frank "Fatty" Alexander, Hilliard" Fat" Karr, and others, nor was Willie Best likely fond of being billed as "Sleep N Eat."
Brent

Speaking of Willie Best I noticed that in GENERAL SPANKY's end cast list he is billed as William Best. Now THERE'S respect he didn't often receive.