CAMERA Comedy Clippings, Sept. 29, 1923

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Joe Moore
Associate

Re: CAMERA Comedy Clippings, Sept. 29, 1923

Postby Joe Moore » Thu May 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Rich, Steve,

Thanks for the additional insight into those Fred Caldwell productions.

___________________________________________________________________________________________-

Actor Foresees a Bad Week Ahead

Frank Mayo is in for a rough week when Lew Cody returns from New York, according to a wire received by Mayo. Cody backed Dempsey and Mayo chose Firpo. The loser agreed to act as chauffeur for the winner for one week.
Here is the wire received by Mayo:
“Wear a blue uniform and a pleasant smile. Start practicing calling me mister and being polite. You will have the privilege of meeting Mr. Dempsey and myself at the station on our return. He has promised not to sock you for betting on the other fellow, as he always respected my servants. Wait for instructions from your boss. Mr. Lew Cody.”
Cody will return to Los Angeles as soon as he finishes work on “Nellie, the Beautiful Cloak Room Model,” which Emmett Flynn is filming.

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 21)

____________________________________________________________________--

Further evidence of how much the Dempsey-Firpo fight had entranced Hollywood's interest.

NELLIE, THE BEAUTIFUL CLOAK ROOM MODEL featured support by such names familiar to comedy fans as Raymond Griffith, Mae Busch and Arthur Housman.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Sun May 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Who’s Who and What’s What in Filmland This Week

An elaborate cafe set, the most pretentious yet used in the “Fighting Blood” pictures now being produced at the Powers studio, has has just been completed for use in the seventh story, to be known as “A Comedy of Terrors.” The greater part of the action of the story takes place in this setting, so studio technical department received instructions to “fix it up right,” without paying so much attention to the expense account.
The romance of George O'Hara and Louise Lorraine, who play the leading roles, progresses apace in this “round” of the series.

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 14)

A bit more info on the FIGHTING BLOOD series that Henry Lehrman was directing.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:31 am

ROACH BACK TO COMEDY
Bert Roach is working on a comedy at Universal under the direction of Wm. Watson, who is assisted by Wm. Holland. Bert is supported by a capable cast, which includes Brenda Lane, the Ziegfield Follies beauty. This is the first comedy Roach has made for sometime, as his services were needed in feature dramatic productions.

Fred Esmelton raced through an Irish peasant village in a “flivver,” attired in evening clothes, in Johnny Hines' “Conductor 1492” for Warner Bros.

FUNSTER FINISHES
Milborne Morante has just finished a character in the Hercules Film Company's production, featuring Eva Novak, supported by an all-star cast.

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 13)

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 am

LYNN WORKS IN EAST
With Claire Windsor, Lew Cody, Edmund Lowe, Mae Busch and Raymond Griffith now in New York, Emmett Flynn, the Goldwyn director, is expected to start work immediately on the film version of Owen Davis' stage play, “Nellie, the Beautiful Cloak Model.”
Hobart Bosworth and Will Walling also have been assigned parts in the feature, but will not make the trip to New York. Interiors for the production will be filmed at the Goldwyn studios in Culver City when the director and principals of the company return from the east.

Gene Klum, who recently finished playing the part of one of the McCoys in Jack Pickford's forthcoming picture, “Valley of the Wolf,” is now enacting the role of a gangster in Jack McDermott's “Temporary Marriage,” which is being filmed for First National at the United Studios.

Louise Fazenda is reaping the rewards, dear to an artist, in the splendid tributes unanimously accorded to her by the New York press upon her work in the Warner Brothers' “The Gold Diggers,” in which she played the role created on the speaking stage by Jobyna Howland. Her brilliant pantomimic art receives the highest praise, all the critics agreeing that her work is of stellar scope.

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 13)

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:53 am

ACROBATS LEAD YOUNGSTER TO STARDOM
from acrobat to screen star tells the story of the phenomenal success of one of screenland's youngest favorites-Frankie Darro at present making his feature film, “Half a Dollar Bill,” a Max Graf production at the San Mateo studios.
Although he is only six years of age, Frankie appeared on the vaudeville stage since he was able to walk as his parents were internationally known acrobats. When he was still too young to work with them, the tremendous applause that greeted him when he appeared on the stage following the close of his parents performance induced his father to train the youngsters as soon as he was able to understand orders. Inheriting a naturally vivacious temperament from French ancestors, coupled with an early developed alertness of mind through acrobatic work, Frankie soon became the star attraction of the trio. It was while appearing on a local stage that a producer seeing Frankie induced him to forsake the legitimate for the silent drama. As he screened well, friends predicted a brilliant future for him on the silver sheet. They were not mistaken. One of his first successes was in Palmer's much talked of initial production “Children of the Storm.” Other engagements of larger magnitude followed as his talent became recognized finally leading to stardom in his present play “Half a Dollar Bill.”

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 14)

Here's young Frankie Darro at the beginning of his long screen career. Darro appeared in tons of pictures, mostly action films but along the way he worked with comedians as diverse in style as the Marx Bros., Marie Dressler, Red Skelton and the Bowery Boys.

Some of my favorite pictures of his are a series of action-comedies he did for Monogram in the late 1930s-early 1940s with Mantan Moreland. The films showed off Darro's flair for comedy and he and Mantan really clicked together but their teaming was cut short when Darro joined the US Navy Hospital Corps during World War II.

Okay you won't become a "made man" but I'll give a gold star to the first mafioso who can tell me when Frankie played one of the Dead End Kids.

Joe Moore

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Joe Moore wrote:Who’s Who and What’s What in Filmland This Week

Okay you won't become a "made man" but I'll give a gold star to the first mafioso who can tell me when Frankie played one of the Dead End Kids.

Joe Moore

The only one I can think of is the 1942 Universal serial JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR.
Darro was in four Bowery Boys films in the late 1940's but not officially as one of the gang.

I also like those Monograms he made with Mantan Moreland. I was glad to finally get a copy a few years ago of one I'd been trying to find for years, ON THE SPOT (1940). I have many stills and lobby cards from it, and always wanted to actually see it. It's one of Mary Kornman's last films...if not her last.

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay between posts on this issue of CAMERA clippings but I was without cooling for the first part of the Summer (where temperatures sometimes exceeded 115° Fahrenheit here in Phoenix) and in no mood to do much of anything on the computer. Things are better now (and much cooler) and I'm caught up on numerous things I put off so it's time to finish up this issue of CAMERA clippings.

Rich,

As to your guess regarding Frankie Darro's one known appearance (to me anyway) as an actual Dead End Kid I don't think it was in JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR. I've always been under the impression that he was more of a friend of the gang in that serial than an actual member although I'll freely admit that that is the one Dead End Kids serial that I have yet to watch so am willing to be proven wrong if someone who knows for sure can clue me in.

The appearance I was actually thinking of was on the May 22, 1939 broadcast of "Angels With Dirty Faces" on the LUX RADIO THEATRE where Frankie does actually play a Dead Ender opposite stars Jimmy Cagney and Pat O'Brien.

Anyway now it's back to the CAMERA clippings with the start of this issues "Pulse of the Studios" listings.

Pulse of the Studios

For Week Starting Monday, Oct. 1

BERWILLA STUDIO. 5821 Santa Monica Blvd. Ashton Dearholt, Pro. Mgr. Holly 3130

Eddie Lyons Productions (Arrow release).

Director: Eddie Lyons Star: Eddie Lyons Cameraman: Ramsey Ass’t Director: Cooke Scenarist: Collins Type: 2-Reel Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Eugene De Rue Star: Bobby Dunn Cameraman: Ramsey Ass’t Director: Cooke Scenarist: Collins Type: 2-Reel Comedies Progress: Schedule

FRED CALDWELL PRODUCTIONS. 4513 Sunset Blvd. 593576

CENTURY STUDIO. 6100 Sunset Blvd. Julius Stern, Gen. Mgr. Bert Sternback, Casting. Holly 0096

Century Comedies (Universal release).

Director: Al Herman Star: All-Star Cameraman: Wm. Hyer Ass’t Director: Herman Scenarist: Herman Type: “The Detective” Progress: Editing

CHAPLIN STUDIO. Alfred Reeves, Gen. Mgr. 1416 La Brea Ave. Holly 4070

CHRISTIE STUDIOS. Harry Edwards, Casting. 6101 Sunset. C. H. Christie, Gen. Mgr. Holly 3100

Director: Al Christie Star: Bobby Vernon Cameraman: Nagy Ass’t Director: Hagerman Scenarist: Frank Conklin Type:2-Reel Comedy Progress: 3rd Week

Director: Scott Sidney Star: Neil Burns Cameraman: Gus Peterson Ass’t Director: Frank Conklin Type:2-Reel Comedy Progress: Editing

CULVER CITY STUDIO. Ralph M. DeLacy, Mgr. 6529 Venice Blvd. Culver City.

Renalles, Inc. Clarke Renalle, Director General.

Star: All-Star Scenarist: Staff Type: “The Elk's Tooth” Progress: Preparing

Scenarist: Harry A. Swart Type: “Purple Bath Tub” Progress: Preparing

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 16)
Last edited by Joe Moore on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:54 am

Pulse of the Studios

FINE ARTS STUDIOS. 4500 Sunset Blvd. E. H. Allen, Gen. Mgr. Scotty Cleethorpe, Casting. 598-165

Jack White Corp. (Educational Release) (Mermaid Comedies)

Director: Taurog Star: Neely Edwards Cameraman: Meehan Ass’t Director: Cullen Scenarist: Staff Type:Special Progress: 6th Week

Director: Hibbard Star: Lige Conley Cameraman: Corby Ass’t Director: Sharpless Scenarist: Staff Type: Comedy Progress: 4th Week

Jack White Corp. (Educational Release) (Novelty Juveniles)

Director: Montgomery Star: All-Star Cameraman: Stengler Ass’t Director: Linkoff Scenarist: Staff Type: Novelty Progress: 4th Week

Lloyd Hamilton Corp. (Educational Release)

Director: Pratt Star: Lloyd Hamilton Cameraman: McGill Ass’t Director: Dewar Scenarist: Staff Type: Special Progress: Preparing

FOX STUDIO. James Ryan, Casting. 1401 N. Western Ave. Fred Kley, Studio Mgr. Holly 3000

Director: Mayo Star: Stock Cameraman: Sid Wagner Ass’t Director: Jas. Tinling Scenarist: Staff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Al St. John Star: Al St. John Cameraman: Ernest S. Depew Ass’t Director: Benny Stoloff Scenarist: Al St. John Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Slim Summerville Star: Stock Cameraman: J. A. Schmidt Ass’t Director: Arthur Cohn Scenarist: Staff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Erle Kenton Star: Lew Brice Cameraman: Vic Scheurich Ass’t Director: Max Gold Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Noel Smith Star: Earl Rodney Cameraman: Byrn Hauck Scenarist: Staff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Tom Buckingham Star: All-Star Cameraman: Sid Wagner Ass’t Director: Kingling Scenarist: Staff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

Director: Seiter-Carruth Star:Chimpanzees Cameraman: R. Tennant Ass’t Director: Mark Sanderich Scenarist: Staff Type:Comedies Progress: Schedule

GOLDWYN STUDIO. R. B. McIntyre, Casting. Culver City. 761711

Director: King Vidor Star: All-Star Cameraman: John Boyle Ass’t Director: James Dugan Scenarist: King Vidor Type: “Wild Oranges” Progress: 9th Week

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 am

Pulse of the Studios

GRAND STUDIO. 1438 Gower St. Ben Verschleiser, General Manager. Holly 0162

Monte Banks Productions, Inc.

Sid Smith Productions, Inc.

Joe Rock Productions, Inc.

Bryant Washburn Productions

Thornby-Newton Productions.

Director: Robt. Thornby Type: “One Hour to Live” Progress: 2nd Week

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS. 6640 Santa Monica Blvd. Wm. Sistrom, Mgr. Holly 1431

Harold Lloyd Corporation-Wm. R. Fraser, Gen. Mgr.

Director: Taylor-Newmeyer Star: H. Lloyd Cameraman: Lundin Ass’t Director: Bud Golden Type:”The Girl Expert” Progress: 7th Week

J. K. McDonald Productions.

Director: Wm. Beaudine Star: All-Star Cameraman: H. Thorpe Ass’t Director: Geo. Webster Type:”Misunderstood” Progress: 4th Week

BUSTER KEATON STUDIO. 1025 Lilian Way. Eddie Cline, Casting. Holly 2814

LASKY STUDIOS. L. M. Goodstadt, Casting. 1520 Vine St. Holly 2400

Director: Jos. Henabery Star: Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Cameraman: Saxon Dean Ass’t Director: Dick Johnson Type:”Stephen Steps Out” Progress: Editing

Director: Wm. DeMille Star: All-Star Cameraman: Guy Wilky Ass’t Director: Geo. Hippard Scenarist: Clar Berangee Type:”Every Day Love” Progress: 2tnd Week

James Cruze Productions

Director: James Cruze Star: All-Star Cameraman: Vernon Keays Ass’t Director: Karl Brown Scenarist: Walter Woods Type:”To the Ladies” Progress: 3rd Week

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 17)

I notice that they're no longer listing Buster Keaton's HOSPITALITY on the production list so presumably the editing was finished by this point in time.

Joe Moore

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 am

Pulse of the Studios

McNAMARA STUDIOS. 4011 Lankershim Blvd. Lankershim 132-J

MAYER-SCHULBERG STUDIO. 3800 Mission Rd. Individual Casting. Capitol 2120

Louis B. Mayer Productions. (Metro Release).

Director: John M. Stahl Star: All-Star Ass’t Director: Sidney Algier Scenarist: A. G. Younger Type:”Why Men Leave Home” Progress: 5th Week

B. P. Schulberg Productions (Preferred Pictures Release)

Director: Vic Schertzinger Star: All-Star Cameraman: Karl Struss Ass’t Director: George Yohalem Scenarist: Eve Unsell Type:”The Boomerang” Progress: Preparing

Director: Gasnier Star: All-Star Cameraman: Karl Struss Ass’t Director: George Yohalem Scenarist: Olga Printzlau Type:”Maytime” Progress: Editing

METRO STUDIO. Romaine and Cahuenga Ave. Harry Kerr, Casting.

Jackie Coogan Productions, Inc.

PRINCIPAL PICTURE CORP. 7250 Santa Monica. Holly 2806

Director: Louis Tolhurst Scenarist: Walter Anthony Type: Microsopic Motion Pictures Progress: Schedule

Benny Zeidman Productions.

R-C STUDIO. Melrose and Gower. 780 Gower St. Holly 7780

Individual Productions. (Film Booking Offices.)

Director: Al Santel Star: Eddie Hearn Ass’t Director: Gilbert Fones Scenarist: Wyndam Gittens Type: “The Sandpile” Progress: Preparing

Director: Lehrman Star: Geo. O'Hara Cameraman: Lee Garmes Ass’t Director: Moreno Scenarist: Beatrice Van Type: “Comedy of Terrors” Progress: Schedule

Douglas MacLean Productions

Director: Jimmy Horne Star: Douglas MacLean Cameraman: Max Dupont Ass’t Director: Art Flavin Type: “The Yankee Consul” Progress: 6th Week

(Camera Vol. 6 No. 24 pg. 17)

Harry Langdon has vanished from Principal Pictures production schedule so I'm assuming it was at this point in time his contract was sold off to Mack Sennett.

Joe Moore