Tell your friends

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Chris Seguin

Tell your friends

Postby Chris Seguin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I can probably safely assume that everybody here has these already(if you haven't contributed to them directly), but at this price these fantastic sets should be handed out like Hallowe'en candy.

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/1031ED.html

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/1072ED.html

Chris

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:I can probably safely assume that everybody here has these already(if you haven't contributed to them directly), but at this price these fantastic sets should be handed out like Hallowe'en candy.

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/1031ED.html

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/1072ED.html

Chris


Yep, these sets have been dumped/remaindered on the market by the Mackinaw Swine, and neither Paul nor anyone else involved with them gets a dime. Buy them up folks, and feel so proud.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Chris Seguin

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:43 am

While what happened to Paul (and, by extension, everyone involved in Laughsmith projects) was extremely unfortunate, at least the discs are accessible/available again, and not at $100 eBay price tags. So personally, I'm going to grab a couple of spares as "gifts" for people who enjoy Buster but may not explore his excellent, more obscure work. And I'll feelnpretty proud doing it too -- who knows, it may help move a few extra units of BLUE COLLAR BUSTER.
Chris

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:While what happened to Paul (and, by extension, everyone involved in Laughsmith projects) was extremely unfortunate, at least the discs are accessible/available again, and not at $100 eBay price tags. So personally, I'm going to grab a couple of spares as "gifts" for people who enjoy Buster but may not explore his excellent, more obscure work. And I'll feelnpretty proud doing it too -- who knows, it may help move a few extra units of BLUE COLLAR BUSTER.
Chris


As nice a rationalization for one's selfish collecting bug as I've heard in some time. Those little screaming voices in your head:" Gotta have it! Gotta have it! Gotta have it! " regardless of the consequences. Like buying it will have anything to do with selling any other new product. You consumer you!


RICHARD M ROBERTS (okay, so I wanna see proof that every remaindered copy you buy is given to some poor unfortunate unable to buy a Keaton or Arbuckle disc on his or her own, rather than sitting on your shelf as the sealed alternates. Lets send them to the starving in Somalia! That will make us feel like we've accomplished something!)

Chris Seguin

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Chris Seguin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

I ordered two Busters - - one for my friend Andrea Gutsche, another for Nico Cartenstadt. Both people who love Buster and are 100% capable of buying their own copy, but are hesitant to watch any of Buster's later films that are so "beneath him". But I could just burn copies, and then everybody's happy -- nobody gets a cent, except Memorex. And hey, maybe it won't compelling anybody to buy a single other Keaton disc....it's just a theory.

But touché, I AM an obsessive collector, as you've no doubt heard from me, and I have been known to have a "spare" of some DVDs on my shelf (pricey and hard-to-obtain copies of DUE MARINES E UN GENERALE and FILM come to mind), but they've since found homes on the shelves of others more deserving. But what kind of proof do you want? Hostage-style photos? It can be arranged? ;)

Trust me, I have enough unwrapped SINGLE copies of DVDs to last me a lifetime (but I WILL get to HOOTENANY A GO-GO someday, I swear I will!)

Chris

Ian Elliot
Associate
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Ian Elliot » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:01 pm

I know Chris doesn't need anyone to stick up for him here but I'm compelled to say that I've been on the receiving end of his largesse a number of times, he's no hoarder. And his burning enthusiasm and scholarship have had me seeking out and watching plenty of the lesser known in vintage comedy (buying discs and books here and there too!).

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

Chris Seguin wrote:I ordered two Busters - - one for my friend Andrea Gutsche, another for Nico Cartenstadt. Both people who love Buster and are 100% capable of buying their own copy, but are hesitant to watch any of Buster's later films that are so "beneath him". But I could just burn copies, and then everybody's happy -- nobody gets a cent, except Memorex. And hey, maybe it won't compelling anybody to buy a single other Keaton disc....it's just a theory.

But touché, I AM an obsessive collector, as you've no doubt heard from me, and I have been known to have a "spare" of some DVDs on my shelf (pricey and hard-to-obtain copies of DUE MARINES E UN GENERALE and FILM come to mind), but they've since found homes on the shelves of others more deserving. But what kind of proof do you want? Hostage-style photos? It can be arranged? ;)

Trust me, I have enough unwrapped SINGLE copies of DVDs to last me a lifetime (but I WILL get to HOOTENANY A GO-GO someday, I swear I will!)

Chris


HOOTENANNY A GO-GO? It's that Oscar Brand completist fetish right?


RICHARD M ROBERTS

Chris Seguin

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:47 am

It's the masochistic side of my filmic interests I don't indulge in much, aside from my Franco e Ciccio fascination. A weekend with HOOTENANY A GO-G0, THE FAT SPY, MONDO BALARDO and HERCULES IN NEW YORK seems a must in the near future!

That, and I just got SKIDOO in the mail ... ;)

Chris

Richard M Roberts
Godfather
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Chris Seguin wrote:It's the masochistic side of my filmic interests I don't indulge in much, aside from my Franco e Ciccio fascination. A weekend with HOOTENANY A GO-G0, THE FAT SPY, MONDO BALARDO and HERCULES IN NEW YORK seems a must in the near future!

That, and I just got SKIDOO in the mail ... ;)

Chris


Thats just masochism on a voyeurs level.


RICHARD M ROBERTS (but I do have HILLBILLIES IN A HAUNTED HOUSE to add to that mix if you want it).

Chris Seguin

Re: Tell your friends

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:12 pm

No, THIS is masochism at a maximum level: http://www.oscarbrand.com/

(Toss in "Second Fiddle To A Steel Guitar" and I may take you up on "Hillbillies in a Haunted House" -- it'll help complete my Arnold Stang-a-thon)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests