Lloyd Hamilton Wedding Belles 1931?

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
ralph celentano
Associate

Lloyd Hamilton Wedding Belles 1931?

Postby ralph celentano » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:20 pm

I just acquired a print of Lloyd Hamilton's Wedding Belles.
Head/tail credits and set up is missing. Footage is 600 feet approx. with some splices due to editing.
Cast includes: Gertrude Astor, Arthur Housman, and Eddie Gribbon.
Plot: Ham is on an Ocean liner trying to get his girl.
I thought this short was released by Educational, but now doubt it. IMDB states Century Productions with only a 1931 release year, no date.
Can anyone supply any more info on this short?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Lloyd Hamilton Wedding Belles 1931?

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm

ralph celentano wrote:I just acquired a print of Lloyd Hamilton's Wedding Belles.
Head/tail credits and set up is missing. Footage is 600 feet approx. with some splices due to editing.
Cast includes: Gertrude Astor, Arthur Housman, and Eddie Gribbon.
Plot: Ham is on an Ocean liner trying to get his girl.
I thought this short was released by Educational, but now doubt it. IMDB states Century Productions with only a 1931 release year, no date.
Can anyone supply any more info on this short?

WEDDING BELLES is an odd little mysterious Lloyd Hamilton comedy that was apparently a pilot one-off for an independent series Hamilton was hoping to get off the ground after he was dropped from Educational. Whether it got an actual theatrical release is unknown, but prints did end up on the home market in 16mm and there are a few of those around. The titles list a Cavalcade Film Corporation , but whether that is the original producing company or the home market distributor is unknown. The Director is Sam Neufield, Cameraman Otto Him, Sound engineer Hans Weeren using the Sonophone Sound System. Cast includes Jack Del Rio apart from the ones you mentioned.

The film reworks a few gags from Hamilton's MOVE ALONG (1926), and is an okay Hamilton talkie short, perhaps a step down budget-wise from his Educationals, but certainly watchable.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

ralph celentano
Associate

Postby ralph celentano » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks for the info.
The other Ham shorts I have are from 1929: DON'T BE NERVOUS + TOOT SWEET.

ralph celentano
Associate

Re: Lloyd Hamilton Wedding Belles 1934

Postby ralph celentano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:29 pm

[quote="ralph celentano"]IMDB states Century Productions with only a 1931 release year, no date./quote]

I ran WEDDING BELLES in Manchester, NH on 7-20. Three eagle eyed Sons of the Desert viewers noticed the 1934 NRA symbol on a newspaper headline page.
The short was made in 1934.

Richard Finegan

Postby Richard Finegan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:56 pm

ralph celentano wrote:
ralph celentano wrote:IMDB states Century Productions with only a 1931 release year, no date./quote]

I ran WEDDING BELLES in Manchester, NH on 7-20. Three eagle eyed Sons of the Desert viewers noticed the 1934 NRA symbol on a newspaper headline page.
The short was made in 1934.

We concluded it may actually have been made in late 1934, making it one of Lloyd's last films before his untimely passing on Jan. 19, 1935. But he really didn't look too bad in the film, not like a guy about to die.
Some fashions worn by some of the ladies in the short were also clues that made it more likely 1934 than 1931.

ralph celentano
Associate

Re: Lloyd Hamilton Wedding Belles 1934

Postby ralph celentano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks to Cole Johnson for researching the Headline: 3 LA KIDNAPPERS GET LIFE.

The newspaper used in WEDDING BELLES is the LA EVENING HERALD dated May 28, 1934.