short comedies on EYE

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joe Moore
Associate

Re: short comedies on EYE

Postby Joe Moore » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Steve.

I knew one of the mighty mafioso would come through for me!

Best

Joe Moore

David Denton
Capo

Postby David Denton » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 pm

They have added a few more:'The Laird of McGillicuddy' (Essanay 1913) with Gus Carney and Billy Mason, 'The Making Over of Mother' (Christie 1916) with Neal Burns, Betty Compson (and Dave Morris?, Stella Adams?) and "Park Your Car" with Pollard, Mosquini (and Hughie Mack?). Sorry, I don't now how to make links.

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am

Here's the links for those films Dave mentioned-

The Laird of McGillicuddy (Essanay 1913)

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip ... gillicuddy

The Making Over of Mother (Christie 1916)

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip ... f%2Cmother

Park Your Car (Rolin-Pathe 1920)

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip ... your%2Ccar

And here's one I just finished watching-

Dinty-1920- a fine comedy-drama feature with lots of kid gang hi-jinks. Cast includes Wesley Barry, Colleen Moore, Kate Price, Anna May Wong and Noah Beery (at his most villainous).

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip ... ords=dinty

Happy New Year

Joe Moore

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Here's another new one - it's AT CONEY ISLAND (10/28/1912) the 11th Keystone release:

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip/14160152_s01.do

It was one of the early ones shot on the east coast, and then released a little later. It stars Mabel, Sterling, Sennett and Gus Pixley.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:29 am

Steve Massa wrote:Here's another new one - it's AT CONEY ISLAND (10/28/1912) the 11th Keystone release:

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip/14160152_s01.do

It was one of the early ones shot on the east coast, and then released a little later. It stars Mabel, Sterling, Sennett and Gus Pixley.

Thanks again Steve and Joe, for posting the links to these rare comedies. AT CONEY ISLAND is fascinating, as one of the first Keystones in an incredibly beautiful, tinted print, and for the views of Steeplechase Park, especially Mack and Mabel cavorting around the mechanical horses.

I remember the park during its final seasons in the early 1960's - the hideous giant laughing woman seen in this film was still a fixture, but it was no longer a Mardi Gras costume worn by a person. It was replaced with a robotic version that bobbed about, with a woman's hysterical laughter heard through a loudspeaker. The park still had dwarves running around as clowns and policeman in the sixties; to a little kid's eyes, most of them looked like senior citizens. I wouldn't be surprised if the tiny cop who tries to pinch Ford Sterling in the film was still toiling away at Coney Island in 1962. Between the crazy laughing woman, little people sneaking behind you with paddles, and the grinning, toothsome face of Steeplechase everywhere, Coney Island was as much a nightmare to this kid as it was a "fun attraction."
Last edited by Ed Watz on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 am

Nice one Steve!

Loved the footage of Coney Island as it was 100 years ago!

Great looking tinted print too.

Check it out

Joe Moore

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

That's what jumped out at me, the beautiful print.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 am

The quality of this title and others here is exceptional, it's easy to envision another Silent Comedy Mafia DVD volume or a Slapsticon Program assembled from these rare shorts -- on many levels, AT CONEY ISLAND certainly deserves wider attention.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

In 2008 Elif Kaynacki and I co-hosted a Mabel Normand retro at the Eye Film Institute (then the Nederlands Filmmuseum) and we showed AT CONEY ISLAND in 35mm. It was absolutely gorgeous. We also showed MOLLY O, HEAD OVER HEELS, and premiered the Filmmuseum's restoration of her Goldwyn film THE FLOOR BELOW (which doesn't appear to have been shown anywhere in the U.S.). They have another Keystone short I hope they put on the Thought Equity site - A LITTLE HERO ('14). Mabel goes out and her cat (Pepper) tries to eat the bird. Her little dog runs out and gets help from his dog friends. It's a cute film and the animals all have dialogue title cards (all in Dutch though).

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Steve Massa wrote:In 2008 Elif Kaynacki and I co-hosted a Mabel Normand retro at the Eye Film Institute (then the Nederlands Filmmuseum) and we showed AT CONEY ISLAND in 35mm. It was absolutely gorgeous. We also showed MOLLY O, HEAD OVER HEELS, and premiered the Filmmuseum's restoration of her Goldwyn film THE FLOOR BELOW (which doesn't appear to have been shown anywhere in the U.S.).

It was shown once in Los Angeles, either at the Academy or UCLA. We would have run it at Slapsticon, but the rental the Netherlands Film Museum wanted was exhorbitant.

RICHARD M ROBERTS