Montgomery and Rock

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Denton
Capo

Montgomery and Rock

Postby David Denton » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I was perusing the BFI database (off the Bioscope link) and for the fun of it, entered Joe Rock. I didn't see any M & R titles, but there were 5 under Earl Montgomery: DAMSELS AND DANDIES, CAVES AND COQUETTES, RUGES AND ROBBERS (ALL 1919), KNIGHTS AND NIGHTIES (1920) and LOVE AND LATHER (it said 1910, but I think not). I could not tell if the BFI itself had any or all of these, or if they were actually part of a larger database. Since Montgomery and Rock are kind of a holy grail, it would of course be great to know if indeed anything is available. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

David

Steve Massa
Capo

Re: Montgomery and Rock

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi David - I believe the only one that the BFI actually has material on is DAMSELS AND DANDIES. I'll double check this on the FIAF website. It's really strange that the M & R films have disappeared as there are plenty of Larry Semon, Jimmy Aubrey and other Vitagraph titles around.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

Double-checked the FIAF database and DAMSELS AND DANDIES seems to be the only Montgomery & Rock anywhere. There's a few interesting solo films to be found. The database lists a couple of early 1916 American Film Co. comedies that Montgomery's in - THAT SHARP NOTE and TRUNK N' TROUBLE at LOC (on nitrate only), and at George Eastman House I saw FOOTPRINTS ('20), Rock's first solo short, which is hilarious and directed by Grover Jones.

David Denton
Capo

Postby David Denton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks, Steve. I had been told before they might only have one film, so that answers that. I wonder about the other four titles. Why are they in the database, where are they, etc.? When you say the BFI has material, what exactly would that mean in this case? Does anyone have friends at the BFI? They have tons of stuff we would all love to see.
I had tried to view the two American films you mention at LOC, now I know why they never showed up.

Thanks again,

David

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 am

Steve Massa wrote:Double-checked the FIAF database and DAMSELS AND DANDIES seems to be the only Montgomery & Rock anywhere. There's a few interesting solo films to be found. The database lists a couple of early 1916 American Film Co. comedies that Montgomery's in - THAT SHARP NOTE and TRUNK N' TROUBLE at LOC (on nitrate only), and at George Eastman House I saw FOOTPRINTS ('20), Rock's first solo short, which is hilarious and directed by Grover Jones.

FOOTPRINTS is indeed a wild hoot. Another great example of Grover Jones bizarre sense of humor.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 am

David - on the database listing for DAMSELS AND DANDIES it says "format unspecified" so it could be anything - nitrate print, nitrate negative, 35mm or 16mm screening prints, even 28mm. Most of the archives on the database don't list the info on their material - only LOC consisitently gives print information.

I think since the Pordenone Silent Film Festival recently finished their massive Griffith Project,where over multiple years they presented all of Griffith's exisitng films,a perfect successor would be the Grover Jones Project (either that or the Ford Sterling Project).

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Is this the Grover Jones who ends up as a script doctor for Paramount? He is mentioned contributing to Fields and Marx Bros. films in the 30s but seemed to rarely get screen credit.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah, the same Grover Jones - one of the unsung heroes of film comedy.

Rob Stone
Associate

Postby Rob Stone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 pm

BFI has a 35mm nitrate print of the M&R film. Soon others will also.......