Who Went to the Broncho Billy?

Find out about the latest releases and exhibition of classic films.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Who Went to the Broncho Billy?

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:02 am

We want reviews!
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Brent Walker
Capo

Re: Who Went to the Broncho Billy?

Postby Brent Walker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Here's something on some of the comedy-related films:

WHEN CLUBS WERE TRUMPS (1916) - Cub/David Horsley comedy for Mutual, produced by Al Christie at the same time he was making Nestors for Universal. Neal Burns' poker buddies created a ruse involving a fake policeman to "arrest" Neal so he can get away from wife Betty Compson to attending their poker game. Things get complicated when Dave Morris shows up as a lunatic posing as a detective, and a real policeman on his trail arrests Neal. I saw lots of Christie regulars like Harry Rattenberry, his brother Billy White, little Gus Alexander and George French.

GOOD NIGHT, NURSE! (1916) - Then we saw a Nestor Christie, also starring Neal Burns--who pretends to be sick to get into a hospital to be attended to by pretty nurse Billie Rhodes, but instead is treated by every other nurse except her, including Stella Adams and Gus Alexander (in drag). Also had Harry Rattenberry, George French and Eddie Barry.

COUSINS OF SHERLOCKO (1912) - This was the first Fraunie Fraunholz and Sallie Crute Solax comedy I've seen, which seemed to pick up where Billy Quirk left off in his Solax series after he left. Fraunie dons drag, and to me looks a bit like Quirk.

THE KID REPORTER (1923) - Baby Peggy was there to introduce the film and talked a bit about the director Alf Goulding (she remembered him working well with children, but didn't realize until years later it was because of his experience as director of a Pollard Lilliputian troupe after he grew too old to perform in the group). This film was amusing, with Peggy donning a mustache as a disguise, among other activities. The cast included James T. Kelley, Blanche Payson (wearing what looked like the same policewoman outfit she had in a 1915 photo I've seen of her), Zip Monberg and William Irving.

DON'T WEAKEN (1920) - I was surprised to discover that the LOC print (which I hadn't seen before) was largely complete--I had thought they only had the second reel. A great showcase for Ford Sterling and Charlie Murray in the finale boxing match, and for James Finalyson as well.

ONE A MINUTE (1921) - This Douglas MacLean feature was the best long-form film of the weekend, and seemed to get the best audience response. Doug finishes law school, only to head west and take over his dad's ailing pharmacy. Unfortunately, a new big chain pharmacy across the street is squeezing them out (and the girl Doug met on the train just happens to be the daughter of the owner), so Doug decides to get publicity by creating a cure-all panacea using a few unremarkable ingredients. Somehow, it really works, and people flock to his store. Victor Potel is great as Doug's sidekick, the local small town newspaper publisher. This is less a typical 20's light comedian film and more of a satire of quackery and how to sell the public. I really enjoyed it.

POP TUTTLE, DETECKATIVE (1922) - I'd seem one other Pop Tuttle comedy with Dan Mason and WIlna Hervey (shown in a program of Bay Area made films), POP TUTTLE'S MOVIE QUEEN which was surprisingly funny. Based on this film, however, that one must have been a fluke. This one was a real dog, even though it had the involvement of some known creative quantities--Robert Eddy and A.H. Giebler. I wonder if this was one that Frank Capra worked on as a prop man? If so, using the "great man" theory he and other have used to give him credit for everything Langdon did, I blame him for the entire film.

We also saw a few items that have been seen a lot (BUTCHER BOY) and at Slapsticon (VISIT TO PARAMOUNT STUDIOS, DRINK HEARTY). Unfortunately, as Chris Snowden mentions on his blog, DRINK HEARTY was hurt by a non-sympathetic score, and most of the comedies this weekend were hampered by being shown a bit too slow. But it otherwise, was an enjoyable weekend which also included a lot of nickelodeon dramas and westerns from American, Ince, Thanhouser, etc. (I had to leave Sunday evening and missed the Universal/Imp program which included Victoria Forde and Lyons & Moran).

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Re: Who Went to the Broncho Billy?

Postby Thomas Reeder » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Hmmm...The synopsis for GOOD NIGHT, NURSE! sounds suspiciously like Sidney Drew's WANTED, A NURSE from the previous year. But then I guess that was standard operating procedure back then.