Books about Charlie Hall

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
Tim Greer
Cugine

Books about Charlie Hall

Postby Tim Greer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I recently purchased The Charlie Hall Picture Archive and am quite impressed with it. I've been meaning to pick up This Is More Than I Can Stand by John Ullah for a while now but recently found On The Trail of Charlie Hall by Ray Andrew online. Is it worth picking up both? I've always enjoyed watching Charlie (even in the brief appearances he's made) and would love to learn more about him. Does anyone recommend one book over the other? Many thanks!
www.feetofmud.com - Dedicated to the preservation and advocacy of Harry Langdon's comedic genius.

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: Books about Charlie Hall

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 am

Tim Greer wrote:
I recently purchased The Charlie Hall Picture Archive and am quite impressed with it. I've been meaning to pick up This Is More Than I Can Stand by John Ullah for a while now but recently found On The Trail of Charlie Hall by Ray Andrew online. Is it worth picking up both? I've always enjoyed watching Charlie (even in the brief appearances he's made) and would love to learn more about him. Does anyone recommend one book over the other? Many thanks!

I do have the Ullah book on Charlie Hall, but I haven't read the others, so I can't compare them. I did enjoy it; there is a lot of material that will already be familiar to Laurel & Hardy fans, but it certainly provided information on Charlie Hall that I would not otherwise have assimilated into that part of my brain devoted to Roach's repertoire company.

I wonder if there's anything on Fin in the works.

Tim Greer
Cugine

Re: Books about Charlie Hall

Postby Tim Greer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks, Joe! If I don't purchase Ullah's book soon I just may have to ask St Nick for it.

One can only hope there's a book on Fin in the works. Of all people he definitely needs a bio.
www.feetofmud.com - Dedicated to the preservation and advocacy of Harry Langdon's comedic genius.