SHAKE RATTLE AND ROCK (1956) with Margaret Dumont

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

SHAKE RATTLE AND ROCK (1956) with Margaret Dumont

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Hey Gang,

Did'ja ever think you'd see Margaret Dumont, Raymond Hatton, Douglas Dumbrille,Percy Helton, Sterling Holloway, and Clarence Kolb (of Kolb and Dill) work in a film with Fats Domino and Big Joe Turner?

Here`tis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjV1TgdJxM

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots

Re: SHAKE RATTLE AND ROCK (1956) with Margaret Dumont

Postby Jim Roots » Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:Hey Gang,

Did'ja ever think you'd see Margaret Dumont, Raymond Hatton, Douglas Dumbrille,Percy Helton, Sterling Holloway, and Clarence Kolb (of Kolb and Dill) work in a film with Fats Domino and Big Joe Turner?

Here`tis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjV1TgdJxM

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I did! But my vision included Snitz Edwards, too, and I don't see him in this clip.

Jim
When you're surrounded by vultures, playing dead is not a good strategy.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu May 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I did! But my vision included Snitz Edwards, too, and I don't see him in this clip.

Jim

Snitz would have been great in this, but he was long dead (1937) by then, unlike Clarence Kolb, who was 83 when he made this and would make it to 90. I love it that he plays himself when they recreate Kolb and Dill in MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES (1957).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots

Postby Jim Roots » Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

Snitz would have been great in this, but he was long dead (1937) by then, unlike Clarence Kolb, who was 83 when he made this and would make it to 90. I love it that he plays himself when they recreate Kolb and Dill in MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES (1957).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Didn't Kolb make an appearance on Ed Sullivan the same year he died, or just before? (Would have been interesting if he had made the appearance just after he died, but Ed wasn't quite that skilled a mortician.) I seem to have a memory of watching him and a ringer partner do one of K&D's skits on that show in the early 60s, when I was but a wee bairn of a boy.

Jim

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Jim Roots wrote:

Didn't Kolb make an appearance on Ed Sullivan the same year he died, or just before? (Would have been interesting if he had made the appearance just after he died, but Ed wasn't quite that skilled a mortician.) I seem to have a memory of watching him and a ringer partner do one of K&D's skits on that show in the early 60s, when I was but a wee bairn of a boy.

Jim

You know, you think that would have been a no-brainer, Kolb dies in 1964, but I can't find any record of an appearance. I remember Smith and Dale making a number of elderly appearances on Sullivan and elsewhere, but not Kolb. Perhaps it was on something like YOU ASKED FOR IT, where a number of old vaudevillians made late appearances, but again, I can't find a record of it.

I do remember Al Shean recreating "Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Shean" with Charles Winninger in ZIEGFIELD GIRL (1941), maybe you saw that on the Late Late Show.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots

Postby Jim Roots » Tue May 13, 2014 8:01 am

Nope, haven't seen Ziegfeld Girl and don't believe we got You Asked For It in Canada. I remember the Smith and Dale routine on Sullivan, at least twice. Maybe time has blurred it with Kolb and Dill in my memory.

Jim