Nitratevile Answer Dept: Can You ID this 30's Star

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Nitratevile Answer Dept: Can You ID this 30's Star

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:04 am

And I gave the "experts" over at Nitratevile most of the day to figure this one out:

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18247

It's Miriam Hopkins you boneheads, from the OUTER LIMITS episode DON'T OPEN TILL DOOMSDAY (1964).

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Nitratevile Answer Dept: Can You ID this 30's Star

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:55 am

You are getting much more lenient in your old age, Richard.......giving them an entire day before revealing the answer.

Meanwhile, there is trouble in Nutville over a locked thread (damn that Chaplin and his 100 year old films that don't exist in exactly the same form they did back in the day), open rebellion over management decisions, Gebert dealing with it in classic Putin-strongman style and Chaplinista Sulpy packing up his marbles and going home. And I wouldn't had witnessed it without that link you left. Thanks, Mr. Roberts. It reminded me of the old flame wars on AMS, which I always found entertaining.

Ironically, isn't that what N-Ville set out to avoid?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:20 am

Gary Johnson wrote:You are getting much more lenient in your old age, Richard.......giving them an entire day before revealing the answer.

Meanwhile, there is trouble in Nutville over a locked thread (damn that Chaplin and his 100 year old films that don't exist in exactly the same form they did back in the day), open rebellion over management decisions, Gebert dealing with it in classic Putin-strongman style and Chaplinista Sulpy packing up his marbles and going home. And I wouldn't had witnessed it without that link you left. Thanks, Mr. Roberts. It reminded me of the old flame wars on AMS, which I always found entertaining.

Ironically, isn't that what N-Ville set out to avoid?

Yeah, I did get a gander at that nonsense yesterday , wasn’t that special, but who to really root for, which side do you take? You have Doug Sulphy slapping David Shepard, David Shepard slapping Doug Sulphy--------that’s really a win-win situation. Then you have Martin Ari-ass (who at least has finally figured out how to disengage the caps lock on his keyboard) showing us versions of THE IMMIGRANT he knows have to be complete because they’re a half-hour long being showed up by David Shepard being able to identify them as his own versions because they’re slow as molasses and his “special contents” re-editing for copyright purposes (kinda, sorta indicating that he is less concerned with historical accuracy than trying to own and control the nearly hundred-year-old public domain Chaplin films to his own whims).

You have Mike Gebert and his thought police cleansing and locking the thread lest it offend Mr. Shepard----ah-----am----the Nitratevile population and, God Forbid allow thoughts that their continually tighter little group might disagree with. Then you have cranky old Doug Sulphy stomp off in a huff (or was that a minute and a huff?) because the world won’t bend to make an effort to stop the screaming voices in his head that restrain him from ever actually enjoying a Chaplin film because they keep chanting “there’s three frames missing there, there’s an establishing shot missing there” .Just another day in good old dysfunctional Shepardville-----I mean, Nitratevile.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 pm

When a film forum's biggest attraction is laughing at the ridiculous ranting post's of a couple of angry posters, repeating the same tired worn out issue,there's not much going for the place. It was amusing when Sulpy packed his suitcase and stomped off--asking publicly to be deleted instead of through a private message.
Ah, what drama deluxe goes on over there. In the end, as you say Richard, he can sit alone at home responding to those angelic voices in his head about missing frames and fragments instead of enjoying the comedy.

Pasquale Ventura

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Yeah, I did get a gander at that nonsense yesterday , wasn’t that special, but who to really root for, which side do you take?

I thought you would get a kick out of it. And you are right, who do you root for? I was content to be neutral Switzerland and just sit on the sides and watch the show.

You have Mike Gebert and his thought police cleansing and locking the thread lest it offend Mr. Shepard----ah-----am----the Nitratevile population and, God Forbid allow thoughts that their continually tighter little group might disagree with.

Shepard was put out from the very beginning. In fact, I don't ever recall him being this pro-active before. He usually pops in to plug his latest product and then vanishes. He must have a lot riding on this Chaplin set.
And Gebert was downright testy in the follow-up thread. I fear the strains of administrating a blog site filled with louts, degenerates and pickpockets is starting to wear on the poor boy.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Let's not forget Robert Israel, he got in a couple of really good posts as well. Basically stating..."if ya don't like what's being released, produce your own".

Pasquale Ventura

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes, I can't remember the last time he joined in to a thread.

There must be Mafia money involved in the backing of this Mutual set.
It has to make a profit.....OR ELSE!!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:Yes, I can't remember the last time he joined in to a thread.

There must be Mafia money involved in the backing of this Mutual set.

No, I don't think anyone here has a penny invested in it.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Pasquale Ventura wrote:Let's not forget Robert Israel, he got in a couple of really good posts as well. Basically stating..."if ya don't like what's being released, produce your own".

Pasquale Ventura

Well, that's kinda a valid point when Sulphy wouldn't even put up his self-claimed "complete" version of THE IMMIGRANT on line to show one and all.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

David B Pearson
Capo

Postby David B Pearson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm

I still think 36 frames per second for the Mutuals would be the way to go.

DBP