John Cleese on AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW

Bucking for Benny? Crazy for Carson? Advocating Amos and Andy? Need to know more about Uncle Miltie's legendary... joke file? Tune in here. (Rabbit Ears not included)
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

John Cleese on AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:26 am

Here's John Cleese talking with the BFI's Dick Fiddy about the recently discovered episodes of AT LAST--THE 1948 SHOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLYQv8yPpE

I find it interesting that several articles I've read recently seem to think that these are the only now-existing episodes of the show, didn't anyone buy that DVD set that had the five compiled episodes from Swedish Television?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Re: John Cleese on AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:53 pm

I bought it! It was at remainder prices, something like $12.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:45 am

I bought it together with those episodes of DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET. Both are absolutely classic television.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Both are very interesting precursors of what was to follow.

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:21 pm

I guess it is much easier to report that, "two complete episodes of THE 1948 show have recently been found in David Frost's hot tub", rather than go into a long winded explanation about, "an edited tape was found that once aired on Swedish television, which featured compiled best of sketches from the fabled and lost AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW".
And from what I've read, many of the newest recoveries are of a far superior quality over the revered compilation DVD that we all harbor.
So they now have 11 out of 13 episodes complete. The producer will be sure to quickly market a new DVD of those 11 episodes, which we will all gladly shell out for. And right after that last group of fans have purchased the latest DVD, the producers will magically produce the 2 missing episodes from out of their ass, and re-release a 3rd brand new DVD of the complete series......which all of us Python fanatics will feel compelled to also purchase......once again.

And then we will finally be caught up...(until they unveil the previously unheard of and never before seen AT LAST THE 1948 X-MAS SPECIAL).

My question is.......why did Frost only bother to save 2 of the episodes??