Bobby Vernonburns

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
Joe Migliore
Cugine

Bobby Vernonburns

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 am

I've seen two Bobby Vernon shorts in which he is billed as "Bobby Burns"; Was this the work of a television syndicator?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Bobby Vernonburns

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:24 am

Joe Migliore wrote:I've seen two Bobby Vernon shorts in which he is billed as "Bobby Burns"; Was this the work of a television syndicator?

What were the shorts and where did you see them?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:30 pm

The one I've just watched is RENO OR BUST, but re-titled "Away We Go" on a DVD called OLD TIME COMEDY CLASSICS VOLUME 6 from Tele Vista. Seeing the name "Bob Burns" on the new title card reminded me that I had heard the narrator use it on SWEETIES, the last short included on Grapevine's Bobby Vernon collection. (That one has the original main title card, but the announcer consistently refers to him as "Bobby Burns".)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Joe Migliore wrote:The one I've just watched is RENO OR BUST, but re-titled "Away We Go" on a DVD called OLD TIME COMEDY CLASSICS VOLUME 6 from Tele Vista. Seeing the name "Bob Burns" on the new title card reminded me that I had heard the narrator use it on SWEETIES, the last short included on Grapevine's Bobby Vernon collection. (That one has the original main title card, but the announcer consistently refers to him as "Bobby Burns".)

SWEETIES is one of my prints. Hmmm, I think that is just Vernon's character name in SWEETIES, the other print is a Charlie Tarbox reissue, so perhaps Charlie was just hard of hearing at the time and misheard "Vernon" as "Burns" or something, I don't think there was a concerted effort to skip a royalty payment or anything. Don't forget, Charlie Tarbox also put out a lot of Paul Parrott comedies where he billed him as Charlie Chase. Accuracy was never Charlie Tarbox's strongpoint.

RICHARD M ROBERTS