Another Dump, Another Cans of Reels Discovery

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
Gary Johnson
Cugine

Another Dump, Another Cans of Reels Discovery

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:58 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173700/Silent-films-100-years-ago-dump.html

These film discoveries seems to be happening with greater frequency this past decade. I can rarely recall this happening growing up,
but now it's almost like a twice-yearly event of someone stumbling upon, not just one or two cans of reels, but a treasure trove.
It's always a treasure trove.

Was no one looking back in the Seventies? Or was no one announcing their discoveries?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Another Dump, Another Cans of Reels Discovery

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173700/Silent-films-100-years-ago-dump.html

These film discoveries seems to be happening with greater frequency this past decade. I can rarely recall this happening growing up,
but now it's almost like a twice-yearly event of someone stumbling upon, not just one or two cans of reels, but a treasure trove.
It's always a treasure trove.

Was no one looking back in the Seventies? Or was no one announcing their discoveries?

Well, it's The Daily Mail to begin with, are we sure it's true?

The simple reason is that old collectors are dying, and no one knows what the hell the stuff is anymore, so it's getting left in dumpsters.

Hope it's a less decomposed copy of THE CARDBOARD LOVER, that would make a nice upgrade from what currently survives.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm

C'mon! I read it on FB so it has to be true.

So am I to understand that until this new discovery of THE CARDBOARD LOVER there had been two main prints in existence --
TCM has one and LoC has the other?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:22 am

Gary Johnson wrote:C'mon! I read it on FB so it has to be true.

So am I to understand that until this new discovery of THE CARDBOARD LOVER there had been two main prints in existence --
TCM has one and LoC has the other?

There may be two main prints, but they are from the same decomposing source. This newly discovered print would be different material if it is an original print.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:29 am

It's only a single reel, but better that than nothing.

"Intrigued by The Cardboard Lover, Rachael, a copywriter who lives with her father, and mother Marina, 54, carried out further research.
She discovered that only one other copy remained - in the Library of Congress in Washington - but that copy was heavily damaged.
After further research, the family have been informed that their version is in a better condition.
Rachael said: 'The Cardboard Lover is a great find, but we only have one reel of that film.
'It was a feature film, so would have come on six or seven reels.
'It's a bit of a shame we don't have all of them but, with a find like that, you don't get upset you don't have them all - you are glad you even got one."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3hTm6pW00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:

Certainly nobody was announcing their discoveries on the internet. Don't forget how long it took such information to disseminate to the collector who was not actively involved in film preservation/restoration.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:48 am

Joe Migliore wrote:Gary Johnson wrote:

Certainly nobody was announcing their discoveries on the internet. Don't forget how long it took such information to disseminate to the collector who was not actively involved in film preservation/restoration.

Absolutely, there were any number of discoveries of caches of rare nitrate films in the 1970's, that was really the first decade of big time serious film preservation, remember, the American Film Institute, the UCLA Film and Television Archive, and the Library of Congress Motion Picture Division were all created in the 70's. That said,it doesn't mean the then-internetless news media indeed found this info all that newsworthy, but the word did get out.

RICHARD M ROBERTS