It's A Gift

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Pickard

It's A Gift

Postby David Pickard » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Just watched this again recently - what an excellent film! Very creative and a remarkably good idea (am thinking of trying something similar with my gas-guzzler!).

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: It's A Gift

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 pm

David Pickard wrote:Just watched this again recently - what an excellent film! Very creative and a remarkably good idea (am thinking of trying something similar with my gas-guzzler!).

I think it is nearly an iconic film with silent comedy buffs, many of whom were introduced to it via Robert Youngson's WHEN COMEDY WAS KING, then constant Blackhawk availability for decades.

Problem with trying it today, is most cars don't have enough metal in them for a giant magnet to latch onto.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:46 pm

I wonder if the two-reel version of this film was better.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:I wonder if the two-reel version of this film was better.

I would doubt it, as I understand it, some of that discarded footage ended up in THE BIG IDEA, filled out with more Glenn Tryon, and that short is no screamin' classic. I think the best stuff was what was in the single reel.

RICHARD M ROBERTS