Candid Photo Archive

Vintage documents, letters, newspaper ads, magazine articles and more -- a library at your fingertips!
Louie Despres
Associate

Re: Candid Photo Archive

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:39 pm

I know that this website is named "Silentcomedymafia" but most of the candids I have are from sound films. Hope the goombas give me a pass.

Here's Joe E. Brown on the set of "The Daring Young Man" (1942):

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Wheeler and Woolsey having fun at the beach!

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Louie: Any idea who the two guys with the Stooges are?

Nice picture of Clark & McCullough- you wouldn't suspect McCullough's mind would go so horribly wrong.

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:19 pm

The other two are Monte Collins and (gasp) Harry Langdon!

Great pics, Louie.

Eric Stott
Cugine

Postby Eric Stott » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:48 pm

God God! Even in this picture Langdon's clothes appear to fit him oddly. On the other hand Monte Collins looks rather dashing- is this before his nose job?

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:28 pm

I got a bunch of stills of people like Charlie Ruggles, Guy Kibbee, Dorothy Lee, George K. Arthur, but don't know if they're "comedians" per se, I can post 'em here if they are OK'd, but until then here's 3 pics of Harry Langdon with his wife Mabel (I think):

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:58 pm

That's Helen Walton, Langdon's second wife, and these photos were syndicated by AP in early July, 1929, part of the announcement of their engagement and the finalization of his divorce from first wife Rose. Harry and Helen got hitched on July 27.

Interesting that these shots are MGM publicity (vide the MGMP code). Anyone recognize the setting?

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Helen Walton's the wife that looked on Harry as her personal cash cow, and had him in court for alimony payments for the rest of his life. They started going out while he was still working with Frank Capra, and it's thought that she's one of the main people that his THE STRONG MAN and LONG PANTS leading lady Priscilla Bonner was referring to when she said that Harry had "very bad advice." These shots would be MGM publicity as they're probably for his Roach/MGM series of shorts.

Steve

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:04 am

Ian Elliot wrote:That's Helen Walton, Langdon's second wife, and these photos were syndicated by AP in early July, 1929, part of the announcement of their engagement and the finalization of his divorce from first wife Rose. Harry and Helen got hitched on July 27.

Yup, figured I was going to screw that up. I better stick with the stuff I know!

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:38 pm

I got the guy but what's the film? Max Davidson: