LISTEN LENA (1927) Al St. John, Clem Beauchamp

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

LISTEN LENA (1927) Al St. John, Clem Beauchamp

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Fun Educational Mermaid comedy from 1927 with Al St. John, Lucille Hutton, Clem Beauchamp(aka Jerry Drew), Jack Lloyd, and Glen Cavender, directed by Clem Beauchamp and an uncredited Stephen Roberts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcf0DTEEDpM

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: LISTEN LENA (1927) Al St. John, Clem Beauchamp

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 am

Has the fat man been identified? I would say Jean Havez but he was in the grave when this was made.

Can you imagine being arrested for wearing pajamas in public? In Charleston West Virginia in the teens one would receive a $5 fine for not wearing a hat outdoors. Now one can see nearly naked people in Wal-Mart.

Robert Moulton
Cugine

Postby Robert Moulton » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm

I thought the consensus was that it was Roscoe Arbuckle playing the role of the man with obscured face. It seems to make sense given that this is a recycling of a joke from a Comique (if I recall correctly).

Or is this no longer thought to be Roscoe?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Robert Moulton wrote:I thought the consensus was that it was Roscoe Arbuckle playing the role of the man with obscured face. It seems to make sense given that this is a recycling of a joke from a Comique (if I recall correctly).

Or is this no longer thought to be Roscoe?

The fat man in LISTEN LENA is considerably taller than Al St. John, Arbuckle was only an inch or two taller than Al. I'm not convinced it's Arbuckle.

RICHARD M ROBERTS