Unknown Lloyd Hamilton Clips

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Rob Farr
Godfather

Unknown Lloyd Hamilton Clips

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 pm

This little mini-doc on the French Arte website is about the use of pastry in silent comedy. There are two clips of a Lloyd Hamilton silent that are new to me. The first is the opening clip and the second, with the same oversized American flags, is in the middle. The fact that these clips are not ID’ed in the closing credits indicates that Arte doesn’t know where they’re from. A reasonable guess might be The Advisor (1921), which is the only film in the Hamilton/Mermaid series that contained political humor. Any other ideas? https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/081210-009-A/stumm/
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Unknown Lloyd Hamilton Clips

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Can't be THE ADVISER, because Dick Sutherland is in it. This is GOOD MORNING (1924), you have a video copy of this somewhere Rob.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks. Will check and confirm.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi Rob & Richard. Thanks for tipping me off to that great collection of clips.

Just wanted to say that long clip of Monty Banks from FOB Africa is a gem.

- SteveR

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:36 am

Steve Rydzewski wrote:Hi Rob & Richard. Thanks for tipping me off to that great collection of clips.

- SteveR

Indeed it is, but I hate to say my biggest laugh is in Arte's identifying sub-title for the Weiss Brother Pollard-Loback ONCE OVER, where underneath the Auteuristic Eurpoeans have to list the name of that great "Auteur" Leslie Goodwins!! Like he was the great lone moving and shaking creative genius behind the film.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:11 am

Steve Rydzewski wrote:

- SteveR

The dog coming after Monty in the street seems unscripted, making the scene an actuality. I've seen a couple of other silent comedies where unscripted dogs come at the comedian during the scene, usually on a street or sidewalk. The fence behind the street car in the Monty clip seems to be the same fence where Laurel first meets Hardy in LUCKY DOG.

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 pm

Indeed it is, but I hate to say my biggest laugh is in Arte's identifying sub-title for the Weiss Brother Pollard-Loback ONCE OVER, where underneath the Auteuristic Eurpoeans have to list the name of that great "Auteur" Leslie Goodwins!! Like he was the great lone moving and shaking creative genius behind the film.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Yes, Richard! I thought the Leslie Goodwins credit was different. Nice clips on that compilation. BTW, there's actually a Leslie Goodwins page on Facebook run by his daughter with lots of interesting stills.

And Tommie, I enjoy a good dog scene stealer all the time. I forget who it was but I remember a poodle coming into some comic's scene and peeing on his leg! LOL You'd think a censor would have snipped that!

– SteveR

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Steve Rydzewski wrote:
And Tommie, I enjoy a good dog scene stealer all the time. I forget who it was but I remember a poodle coming into some comic's scene and peeing on his leg! LOL You'd think a censor would have snipped that!

– SteveR

Monty Banks had his whole short WEDDING BELLES (1924) stole out from under him by Pal the Dog.

RICHARD M ROBERTS