CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME TWO 1932-33 coming out this Tuesday

This forum is nearly identical to the previous forum. The difference? Discussions about comedy from the SOUND era.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME TWO 1932-33 coming out this Tuesday

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 am

Hey Gang,

Just a few more days until volume two of The Sprocket Vault's Charley Chase Hal Roach Talkies set comes out, pre-orders are down to $26.42 for the set if you haven't ordered it yet:

https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Chase-Ro ... T3SW65WJ9P

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME TWO 1932-33 coming out this Tuesday

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 am

According to Amazon, my order was already shipped yesterday - and I can't imagine a better birthday present to myself!

Looking over the DVD description again, I'm reminded of what's in store: UNA CANA AL AIRE, the 4-reel Spanish version of LOOSER THAN LOOSE, which is worth the price of the set in itself (Charley's impromptu Charleston to escape the dance floor is one of his finest must-see moments), but there's also many other gems. Charley's new leading lady Muriel Evans is vivacious and sexy enough that you don't miss Thelma Todd leaving for her own series. Thelma has one last appearance with Charley here, as does Anita Garvin (appearing with Muriel, of all people - there's no catfight, however!). Near the end of the volume there's new partner Betty Mack, proving that small, cute and perky makes a fine contrast while Charley transitions from the brash go-getter into his milquetoast persona.

Giving some of their very best performances in any comedy films, we get Billy Gilbert, Gale Henry, Dell Henderson, Jimmy Finlayson (in character but without his mustache) Greta Garbo's stand-in, and no less than two appearances by the great Luis Alberni...and to top it all off, doing the commentary tracks - there's Richard - whose observations are insightful, and his asides always double the fun for me.

Incidentally, I wonder if there's any thoughts on whether Billy Gilbert's guttural German housepainter in LUNCHEON AT TWELVE might've been inspired by 1933's extensive media coverage of Germany's new chancellor - there were frequent claims that year that "Adolf" began his career as a housepainter...irrespective and regardless, Richard's comments are bound to inform, surprise, and delight us.

I promise I'll try not to sound this boisterous when I submit an Amazon review (apparently Amazon censors will NOT condone enthusiasm). I primarily write the reviews for those who are not SiCom Mafia members, and thus are often unaware of the treasures that await their discovery. No doubt all of you here have already ordered the set - or will be doing so - very, very soon.
CC.jpg
CC.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 21056 times
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME TWO 1932-33 coming out this Tuesday

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks for the nice words Ed, nope, nothing on a potential Hitler connection, I think Billy Gilbert had done the German accent enough already that it was just fun to have him do it again, possibly an audition for the Schmaltz Brothers. As much as I find the delectable Muriel Evans delectable, she was no Thelma Todd, certainly not when it comes to comedy timing, but I'm glad you like Betty Mack too, I think she and Charley had great chemistry, on and off the screen apparently.

I think the 1932-33 shorts contain some of Charley's best Roach talkies, and also contains his worst Roach talkie (I'll leave it to you to discover which that is), and we see him began to veer towards some of his more surreal flights of fancy that make much of his talkie work stand out from his silent work. Considering some of the volatility going on behind the scenes at Roach in those years, Charley Chase's work remains and continues to be solid and fun.

And a Happy Birthday to you Ed,

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Richard - would you believe it, 16 years old on July 16th (uh, I think I'm dyslexic with numbers sometimes).

Another great thing about these sets is that everyone can own a complete collection of Chase's shorts, including the titles that one is less fond of viewing. Out of Charley's fifteen shorts for 1932-33, I own eleven in 16mm - and they are the eleven that I consider his best from those two years. But having even the lesser titles is a treat with this set, as the superior image/sound quality and convenience of a DVD eliminates the need to keep those vhs dupes.

I also own a 16mm print of SHERMAN SAID IT. It's been trimmed to ten minutes, and includes only Charley's three song hightlights plus the pier wraparounds with Luis Alberni. Let's just say it's amazing what a pair of scissors can do for a film!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Chris Seguin put this up on his Scribefiles Facebook page:

"Here’s the thing with the new ’Charley Chase: At Hal Roach: The Talkies Volume Two 1932-33’ DVD release... and the earlier Volume 1. Each film is also a 20-minute history lesson on the Hal Roach studios, its stars and personnel, bit players and familiar faces, and its considerable ups and downs. Given that each set has 16 or so shorts, that’s about 5.5 hours of valuable education per volume, or a cumulative 11 hours — all by the inestimable and highly listenable Richard M. Roberts. If you appreciate comedy of S certain era (and I assume you are, if you’re reading this), Sprocket Vault’s Charley Chase releases are essential."

Thank you kindly Chris,

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm

I DID put that up! And that'll go onto the amazon review as well. These sets are just spectacular, and those commentaries are worth the price alone. I believe the word I'm looking for to describe them is .... inestimable.

Keep 'em comin', RMR!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:11 am

Ed Watz sent me his Amazon review, which should be up on their page shortly:

"Better Than Any Sitcom - Charley Chase At His Very Best (5 stars)

Charley Chase was one of the brightest stars of the Hal Roach Studios during that "golden age of comedy," the 1920s and '30s. And this second volume of Charley's Hal Roach talkies is a must-have addition for any fan of classic comedy and early Hollywood. Volume 2 continues the high laugh content of the previous set, with many genuine classics that are sure to win Chase new fans, including some of my top favorites such as GIRL GRIEF, YOUNG IRONSIDES, FALLEN ARCHES, LUNCHEON AT TWELVE among many other gems. And coming from the Roach studios, we get many of the terrific cast members from Roach's Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang series, including Anita Garvin, James Finlayson, Billy Gilbert, Charlie Hall, Dell Henderson. Plus there's Charley's delightful leading ladies: gorgeous Thelma Todd, lovely Muriel Evans, and cute-perky Betty Mack. To top it off, film historian Richard M. Roberts provides commentary tracks for each film. Roberts' tracks are essential listening: I heard invaluable backstories on each short's production, as well as Roberts' witty and often hilarious asides I watched all the films twice, the second time with the commentary track, and gained a greater appreciation for each Chase film and each member of the supporting cast (for instance, no one could identify that virtuoso harmonica player who appears in Chase's THE TABASCO KID; no one, that is, until Richard Roberts revealed it's none other than the legendary Larry Adler, making one of his earliest appearances, and in a Hal Roach comedy to boot!). As an added bonus, there's the Spanish language version of Charley's short, LOOSER THEN LOOSE, with all dialogue spoken by Chase phonetically before foreign language dubbing became an industry practice. There are scenes here not included in the English language version that rank among Chase's very best, and one can finally enjoy them in this marvelous set. I highly recommend CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME TWO 1932-33, now I'll be looking forward to Volume 3!"

Thank you very much Ed, nice words from you are always appreciated.

By the way, if you have gotten the set, and you haven't posted a review on Amazon, get over there and post one. Support for these sets has to continue to assure future sets are forthcoming. Taking these sets for granted will have the effect of making them disappear. Get the word out!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 pm

Nice words from John McElwee at Greenbriar Picture Shows. Thanks John:

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot. ... haves.html

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:35 pm

A sterling review from Ivan Shreve Jr. at THRILLING DAYS OF YESTERYEAR:

https://thrillingdaysofyesteryear.wordp ... of-it-all/

Thanks Ivan!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Okay you mugs, there's only four reviews on Amazon as of today. I know the sets are getting sold and seen when folk are stealing information from my commentary tracks and putting it up on their websites crediting it to themselves, so the least you can do is go put a five-star review up there to guarantee more sets come out and you'll have more information to swipe.

Then again, hell, why not, lets just wrap Charley Chase at Volume Two............

RICHARD M ROBERTS