HOT SPORTS (1929) Monty Collins, Vernon Dent

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

HOT SPORTS (1929) Monty Collins, Vernon Dent

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Late Educational silent Cameo Comedy released August 11, 1929, directed by Jules White and featuring Monty Collins, Vernon Dent, Betty Boyd, Robert Graves and Eva Thatcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUhfDzFVnE

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Dennis Campa
Cugine

Re: HOT SPORTS (1929) Monty Collins, Vernon Dent

Postby Dennis Campa » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:56 am

Thank you Richard for posting the link to this short (and for Dave Glass for putting it online).

I've known about this title for decades, but this is the first time I've seen it. It's very funny, with Monty, Vernon, and director Jules White all in good form.

(And Vernon appeared in over 20 released shorts in 1929, though some of them had been filmed in 1927).

And I saw Elinor Vanderveer in it, too.

Dennis

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Dennis Campa wrote:Thank you Richard for posting the link to this short (and for Dave Glass for putting it online).

I've known about this title for decades, but this is the first time I've seen it. It's very funny, with Monty, Vernon, and director Jules White all in good form.

(And Vernon appeared in over 20 released shorts in 1929, though some of them had been filmed in 1927).

And I saw Elinor Vanderveer in it, too.

Dennis

Yep, Vern was moonlighting while the Sennett studio was closed by going over to Educational and elsewhere. I have several other Cameos and Mermaids he appears in from the period, including WHAT A TRIP and HOWLING HOLLYWOOD.

Pathe' was releasing the backlog of silents Sennett produced for them over the two years of 1927-29, which is also why Mary Ann Jackson was competing with herself in the Smith Family comedies after she had moved over to Hal Roach to join Our Gang, but Dent returned to Sennett in 1928 to also work not only in the taklies for Educational, but the last batch of silents Sennett had to deliver to Pathe' like the Handy Andy series and the Tired Businessman comedies. All this while also doing features like GOLD WIDOWS for Columbia and THE CAMERAMAN for MGM, he was busy.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:33 pm

This short is one of my favorites. I still have my old Blackhawk 8mm print, one of the earliest I bought. It's almost a precursor of the '30s Columbia shorts: Monty Collins, Vernon Dent, directed by Jules White, presumably produced by Jack White. Even the gag with the fruit tossed in the singer's mouth was reused by The Three Stooges!