Sam Gill and Richard M Roberts Zoom Conversation December 19 online

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Sam Gill and Richard M Roberts Zoom Conversation December 19 online

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:09 am

Just want to give everyone a heads up that Sam Gill and I will be doing a live Zoom Conversation for the Niles Essanay Film Museum on Saturday, December 19th at 5:00 pm Pacific Time and 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. Hooman Mehren will be moderating and running the Zoom webinar, as well as fielding live chat questions from anyone wanting to join in. The subject continues the Museum's current Circus theme as Sam and I will be discussing the performers who worked in films that had the Circus in their backgrounds.

Two circus-themed films will also uploaded: CIRCUS DAZE (1928) starring Poodles Hanneford, and THE CIRCUS KID (1928) starring Frankie Darro, Joe E. Brown, Helene Costello, and Poodles Hanneford and the Hanneford Family Horse Act.

This info will be up on the Niles Essanay Film Museum website:

https://nilesfilmmuseum.org/

soon, but as they are taking their usual leisurely time in getting it up there, I wanted to give the Mafiosi as much advance notice as possible so you can set your calendars. The Museum plans to put the conversation up on Youtube after the live broadcast.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Sam Gill and Richard M Roberts Zoom Conversation December 19 online

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Well, the Niles Museum managed to get the info up on their site today:

https://nilesfilmmuseum.org/?tv=4997833899900928

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 am

Here's the link to THE CIRCUS KID (1928) one of the films run with our presentation, starring Frankie Darro, Joe E. Brown, Helene Costello, and Poodles Hanneford, playing himself, with a new score by Greg Pane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm2VBcDr9uI

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 am

And here's the link to CIRCUS DAZE, the 1928 Weiss Brothers-Artclass comedy starring Poodles Hanneford, with a score by Dr. Phillip Carli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNssKnt ... e=youtu.be

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Looking forward to watching live tonight.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:31 pm

Regrettably I'll be sleeping at 2am here in Europe when these two Greats team up. But I'm eagerly looking forward to catching them, bright & early, on Sunday morning. Can't wait!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:43 am

Finally! The Niles Film Museum got it up on Youtube, and it's in synch. Here's the official link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNmo0rIcBA&t=11010s

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:35 pm

What a wonderful time I'm having viewing this! I'm at the two hour mark and taking a short breather (more than you guys got) and will head back to it shortly. Thank you, Richard, and to Sam as well for this thoroughly entertaining history of the "stars" of circus films of the past. Thanks, too, to the Niles Essanay Museum for hosting these easy-going conversations about cinema's past during these socially isolated times.

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm

WOW! I loved watching and listening to Richard, Sam, and Hooman also. Great show. Just wanted to add that Ben Turpin supposedly clowned with Ringling Brothers sometime prior to August 1906 (according to a newspaper blurb at that time).

Chester Conklin also clowned for the Ringlings before entering motion pictures.

Ford Sterling ran away with John Robinson's Circus at the age of 17, circa 1897-98.

And I hope I can borrow some of those great Turpin stills when I write a second book on Ben, Sam! ;-)

Happy, Healthy and Successful New Year to all my friends...

- SteveR

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:04 pm

We've been getting great feedback on the Zoom Webinar and are happy everyone seems to be enjoying it (and hey, it's perfectly okay to be enjoying it in increments, I haven't even watched it all yet). One big credit and pat on the back should indeed go out to Hooman Mehren, who did one truly Herculean effort in not only moderating and keeping the "wonderful" Zoom platform from perennially attempting to crash during the live broadcast, but then having to completely reconstruct the entire thing for Youtube when the lovely Zoom sent him not the finished product file at broadcasts end, but three separate files containing the entire broadcast disassembled into its component parts, forcing Hooman to have to completely reconstruct the recording in REAL TIME (meaning he had to completely listen to me and Sam ramble on for near four hours TWICE in two days!). This goes way beyond the call of duty and may fall under the laws regarding illegal interrogation torture in the United States. Bravo Hooman and thank you.

This may be the fastest instance of something becoming "lost" and then being "restored" in Film History History.

RICHARD M ROBERTS